I humbly ask this community for some assistance. This issue has been driving me crazy and I cannot figure out where I have gone wrong.
I recently built an UnRAID server out of some spare parts I had laying around. The gear is not super old. I also rebuilt my workstation around the same time. Some preliminary tests transferring files between the workstation and the UnRAID box showed I was saturating my 1GBps network. I saw the Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN was less than $150 and I went all in on setting up these computers on 10Gbps. I bought 2 Asus XG-C100C 10gbe network cards. Installed everything and………disappointment
The transfer rates were a lot lower than I was expecting. From the Workstation TO UnRAID, I am seeing between 3.8 and 4 Gbps transfer speeds. But from the UnRAID TO the Workstation, I am seeing 1.6 to 1.8 Gbps transfer.
I have tried all manner of configurations. I have even hooked the machines together without the Mikrotik to minimize the possibilities. At no time do the CPU’s of either machine get above about 9%. Memory is at about 5%, Disk usage is also very low.
Have not tried:
Changing MTU’s to 9000 or similar. MTU is still on 1500. (Will changing that screw with me accessing the rest of the network at 1Gbps?)
Downloaded and updated drivers on the Workstation machine. (There was a newer driver on the Asus website)
Swapped out the Asus 10gbe card for a Mellanox Card. (In the UnRAID server)
Changed cables (a few times) All cables are CAT6 and in runs shorter than 25 feet. (At one point I used a DAC to connect the Mellanox card to the Mikrotik and CAT6 with SFP+ cage to the Asus card……same results)
Hooked the computers directly together (no switch) Same results as using the Mikrotik.
Thanks for any input.
Specs as follows:
Win10 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 9 3900X, Firecuda 520 NVMe SSD, 64 GB Ram, Asus XG-C100C 10Gbe NIC
Unraid v 6.8.3 Pro, AMD FX-8350 8Core, 16 Gb, 256GB NVMe SSD for Cache Drive, 5 X 8TB Seagate Nas Drives for storage, MCX311A-XCAT Mellanox CX311A PCIe3.0x4 (1)10GbE SFP+ NIC, 10Gtek SFP+ Cage.