Need new WAPs or IP Cameras

Background; Currently I have 2 Wyze v2 cameras on a network which is run by two TP-Link EAP-225s. This is all backed by a Pfsense router with a 1gig uplink. The surrounding area is pretty congested unfortunately. I am able to pick up about 4-5 neighbors access points on both 2.4 and 5ghz. I have made changes to my setup to include lowering the power on both 2.4ghz radios to low[9db]. The APs are: one on the second floor and one on the bottom floor, in opposing ends of the home.

Issue: I am having issues with stability on this network setup (WiFi related). I am having issues with the camera feeds cutting out and accessing the cameras over the Wyze App. Sometimes it cuts out when both my wife and I access the app at the same time. Other times the cameras go down and are not accessible, they require me to force them to reconnect to the AP for them to come back. I’ve setup UptimeKuma to monitor the stability and they regularly go offline.

Before the TP-Link setup at had an Aruba AP upstairs and a TP-Link router (in AP mode with OpenWRT) that worked pretty well. Had to adjust some of the parameters to get it to work and take the 2.4ghz width down to 20mhz. But the stability was “better” but the speed was much slower and coverage was far less. I know it’s not a coverage issue as the cameras read good coverage and around around -45/55db RSSI.

Question: Should I switch AP brands back to Aruba or go to ruckus, or do I look to a different camera? I know the Wyze cameras aren’t that high quality but for this use case (monitor the front door) they work well enough. If I upgrade only the camera, what brand should I look into? Been looking into some possible Reolink cameras that have 5ghz WiFi capable. Not looking for a whole NVR solution, just something that would output an RTSP stream and some sort of reliable app for my wife to view the stream (needs to include sound).

If none of the above, how would I troubleshoot my current setup and narrow down any settings to help with interference? I think that’s my main issue right now.

Just replaced my pair of Linksys WRT Series routers (in AP mode) running OpenWrt. Spent some amount of time looking at 802.11ax APs (Netgear, TP-Link, Cisco, Aruba, etc.) before settling on two EnGenius EWS377APv3

1. No cloud based management
  2. No monthly extortion fee
  3. No bloatware
  4. Same SSID on both APs, both bands
  5. SSIDs fixed on different non-overlapping channels
  6. Clients seamlessly switch APs bands and channels
  7. Although the EWS377AP supports MESH, both APs are hard wired
  8. Reasonably priced

The only problem I had was my 20+ year old HP ENVY printer would not connect, even with 2.4 GHZ AX disabled. Bought a new HP printer.

You think you have problems with congestion.

AP-1
2.4 GHz - 34 SSIDs in range
5 GHz - 13 SSIDs in range

AP-2
2.4 GHz - 54 SSIDs in range
5 GHz - 20 SSIDs in range.

Wow that’s a lot of SSIDs in range! How do those APs perform in that environment? No issues?

Looking at the prices for those, not too bad. Did you buy them from the MFR direct or get a deal on them?

Most of the SSIDs are distant, thus too weak to interfere. The APs are more sensitive and will pick up everything, regardless of signal level. Clients don’t see that many, but still a significant number.

I am extremely pleased with the performance. I have no dead spots in my three story home. I did spend some time tweaking the orientation of the APs since they don’t have external antennas. First floor AP is horizontal facing up on top of a rack, antenna sides pointing to maximize coverage. Third floor is horizontal, but pointing down. You can see the internal antenna photos from FCC filings. EnGenius Technologies 11ax Indoor Managed Access Point, 11ax Cloud Managed Access Point EWS377APV3 FCC ID A8J-EWS377APV3

I bought mine off Amazon for $200 each. I used the 12V power bricks from my WRT series routers. I started with one which provided excellent coverage, except for my office. Bought the second too fill that gap.

https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-EWS377AP-802-11ax-Wireless-Features/dp/B07SGH1S4K

Netgear sells the same repackaged model, but with crippled capability (less max clients, less SSIDs, no MESH). The Netgear FCC fillings even show the Engenius logo on the device. Netgear orporated Insight Managed WiFi 6 AX3600 Dual Band Multi-Gig Access Point 21300541 FCC ID PY321300541