Multiuse system build

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask my fellow colleagues about their opinion on Intel versus AMD and what to go with. I will not make this post very long but basically, I am looking at building a new system for myself. This system would be doing many jobs like being a file server, running PfSense, web design, along with the possible YouTube and or podcast set up, and of course everyday use.

I am really intrigued by AMD’s new architecture in their Ryzen chips. However, with saying that I do not know if I should go with something like a Ryzen 7 2700 X processor or look into the 1900 X ThreadRipper. I know the price for thread rippers are still high but I do not want to have to upgrade my system a few years down the road I want to buy enough horsepower now that way it will last me a while.

I would like to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Thank you,

Chris Dorsett

That’s a lot to put in one box, but it’s possible. I’d set a budget and build out a few things within there. More cores will definitely help you out a lot. I honestly would build out two boxes. One handling pfSense, file server, webserver, and whatever other VMs you want to throw on it. The other one to be your daily driver. It will be a lot easier if you run into issues to troubleshoot. You know what they say about having all your eggs in one basket…

When I started my homelab I wanted to do the same thing as you. However, as I started trying out different things I realized I was more comfortable splitting up the resources. So now I run a few boxes. Protectli for pfSense, old optiplex for FreeNAS, Gaming Desktop, and a T620 for dev/testing and whatever else floats my boat.

If I were to purchase everything (vs. free old hardware) I would probably roll with a dedicated pfSense box, a Synology (for Plex, backups, and file shares), an intel nuc (for VMs), and a desktop that handled whatever I needed it to for gaming and work. And make errrthing SFF because that’s my obsession.

Welcome to the forums!

Check out the AMD you’re thinking about vs the Intel on cpubench.net I’m still finding Intels to be a better value.

Thank you for the input. I also debated on using my current rig to support some of need like you suggest. Then building a new system. To handle the some of the other things. I probably will use my current system to run as my file server and pfsense system. then build out a different system to use for my web developement/audio and daily driver needs. I mean I do have a 1K budget to use on this new system with. I might go to PC part pickers website and see what 1K would get me. Thank you for the feedback.

Depending on your current system that would probably be best and take advantage of existing hardware. You can use some of that 1k to bump up your existing machine with storage or RAM and then make a daily driver machine.

One box is a dream though…just don’t want to have to troubleshoot a ton on my one machine when something inevitably goes wrong. Stability is nice.

I am running the max that my motherboard will handle on my current system. I am running a i7-4700K at 4.00GHz, with 16 GB of DDR 3. With a 250GB SSD for my boot drive, with two 2 TB mechanical drives, and up for terabyte external hard drive.

Some thinking about use this as my storage unit within reason it should be okay for a while. Then build a daily driver that holds a new SSD probably an M.2. Then at least a 4 GB mechanical hard drive.

As far as motherboard, CPU, RAM, and case I am looking at the following set up.

Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad – Alternative to Thermal Paste/Grease (30 X 30mm)

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) (PC4 25600) F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020103-NA)

MSI Arsenal Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450 Tomahawk)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler - YD270XBGAFBOX

Rosewill ATX Case, Mid Tower Case with Blue LED Fan/Gaming Case for PC with Side Window Panel & 3 Fans Pre-Installed, Computer Case 2 x USB3.0 Port – Nautilus

I am not set on any of this is just what I have looked at so far.

I would go with Intel. I think assembly the hardware is the best part in order to run the project like web designing, podcast.