Moving from USG-3P to pfSense router

I have a USG-3P that I would like to replace with a pfSense router. The reasons I’m replacing my USG is because I have upgraded my internet to 3gb/s and I know the USG won’t handle this. I also want to setup VPN (OpenVPN or WireGuard) with family and friends. As a side note, I will reuse the USG at my cottage with an AP :blush:.

My current network topology is:

USG-3P connect down to USG-Flex-XG that connects down to US-8-150W . I have 3 AP’s connected to the US-8-150W.

I have my main network & WiFi, Guest Vlan & WiFi, Work Vlan & WiFi configured in UniFi. I have configured the new pfSense router with the same Vlans, IP reservations and DHCP scopes. I have tested the pfSense router with my pc and that is work properly.

Now I’m at the point that I need to remove the USG from my local Unifi controller so I can connect the pfSense router to the UniFi switches & AP’s. What is the best way to do this? Is it as simple as Forgetting the USG from the UniFi controller and just swapping routers? I expect it’s not.

Thank you for you help. :smiley:

You don’t have to remove the USG from the UniFi controller before replacing it and it might not be a bad idea to do it that way in case you need to plug it back in if you run into issues. Once the pfsense is installed and you are happy with the setup, then remove it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Tom.

I hadn’t even thought of that option but makes total sense. I’ve had my USG for like 5 years and has been rock solid. In the past year I’ve been more and more interested in Networking & pfSense thanks to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like