Mounting FreeNAS 11.3 SMB Share from FreeBSD 12.1

Hello,

I am trying to mount an SMB share on a FreeNAS server from FreeBSD to copy files over to FreeNAS. I am using the following command and get the following error:

root@freebsd:/ # mount_smbfs -I 1.2.3.4 //user@freenas/share /mnt/share
Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = RPC struct is bad

Ive tried searching for what this could be but did not come up with anything that seemed relevant. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

I have never tried command line mounting of SMB on FreeNAS, but a more effective way of moving files between FreeNAS servers is using ZFS replication or Rsync, both are available in the web ui and can also be used from the command line.

Thanks for the response. I enabled SMB v1 temporarily on the FreeNAS system and that allowed smbfs_mount to connect on the FreeBSD system. Not ideal but it got the job done. I can play with it later and see if I can get it to work with higher versions.

FreeNAS machine is a Dell R510 and the FreeBSD machine is a R720 for reference.

Dan

Tom,

Out of curiosity did you at one point work at Southgate Computer? I worked there a long time ago and it occurred to me I might have worked with you. I may be mistaken but thought there might be a chance.

Dan

Yup, I did used to work at Southgate Computer. I left there in 1999.

I thought that was you. I was the kid who was always blowing up TX motherboards. I was not the brightest for sure but you inspired me to keep learning. Due to circumstances I never ended up getting into tech. I do controls/automation. I’m still tinkering with servers. I have a r510 and r720 i play around with all the time, right now I’m installing xcp-ng on the r720 and I am going to move my pfsense install over then play around with some other scenarios. I am actually thinking of going back to school at the ripe age of 42. Ive been trying to get an IT job but my resume does not have a lot of IT experience so I get passed over constantly. Anyway sorry for the life story. Its good to see you doing so well, congrats on the success!

Dan

1 Like