Mesh networking DHCP relay problem on Xiaomi AIoT Router AX3600

Hi all IT enthusiasts!

As another IT enthusiast, I have a Mesh networking problem, where I could not give the DHCP authority to my newly installed Firewall micro Appliance with OpnSense and Zenarmor, because on new firmwares of Xiaomi AIoT Router AX3600, there is a limitation for the DHCP settings.

Here is my total network structure.

Would you recommend me to disable DHCP on Xiaomi AIoT Router AX3600 devices interface and possibly connect WAN cable to LAN. Also, adding another cable from Firewall micro Appliance to Xiaomi AIoT Router AX3600 through WAN, similarly as stated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8c4V1_6eik

Another alternative could be replacing those two Xiaomi AIoT Router AX3600 devices with the two pair of Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Pro Access Points (U6-Pro Wi-Fi 6) with one Ubiquiti USG Network / Router (3 Gigabit Ethernet Ports, UniFi Controller, which Iā€™m not certain of similar limitations.

Could you please help?

I have never use any Xiaomi products, but I would recommend using the UniFi access points, but I do not recommend using the USG or any of the UniFi routing equipment over using OpnSense.

1 Like

I did buy the two pair of Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Pro Access Points (U6-Pro Wi-Fi 6) and trying to get them from the Customs, but I do need switches for the second floor, with 2.5GbE+ ethernet access.
Would you recommend Omada managed TP-Link devices, actually two pairs of TL-SG3210XHP-M2, to have at least 16 ports?
I can easily get unmanaged TP-Link switches (like TL-SG108-M2 and TL-SG108PE for POE+ ports), as they are widely available in my country.
I asked partly here (Switch(es) recommendation for 12 (preferably 2.5Gbe) Gigabit Copper RJ45 ports and 2 POE ports (minimum) requirement), but generally Cisco switches are out of my scope.
Additional question: Do Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Pros require any additional hardware on this setup?
Thanks.

I decided to buy two TL-SG3210XHP-M2 switches and connect them via SFP+ uplink.
What type of fiber cable should I use for 1 m cabling?

1. Passive DAC
  2. Active DAC
  3. AOC
  4. MMF OM3, LC-LC, Duplex + MM SFP+ Transceivers
  1. Passive DAC
    That is find for short connections.

Thanks. Would there be any EMI effect, if I use that cable?
I have an UPS, a NAS (maybe increased to two later), those 2 switches (probably one more added later) and a HomePlugAV device on that rack.

Nope, should not be an issue.

1 Like