Manual Jail Setup Tutorial For Syncthing on FreeNAS 11.3

Hey Tom,

That’s exactly what I was doing, however syncthing still doesn’t have the ability to write files to the folders.
This is what the folders on the receiving/NAS side looks like. Any thoughts?

Make sure you when you set the permissions you check the box “Apply Permissions Recursively”

Unfortunately I’m not able to “Apply Permissions Recursively” from the NAS side because there are quite a few custom ACLs below in the file structure; however I’m able to add the permissions using Windows folder properties under the security tab. That should essentially be same thing, correct? The only difference on Windows is I’m unable to add the “syncthing” group because the name is the same as the user and that’s not allowed in Windows and therefore not visible. If the group is necessary, is it possible to change it in the jail? I toyed with changing it, but always broke the jail in doing so. The BSD stuff it a little over my head.

I find it really odd that it’s able create the folders and even the temp hidden files; it just can’t rename and unhide them once they’re downloaded. It may not be possible while AD is in use.

Well, I got it all done without problems other than starting it.
How did you start a web browser to go to a localhost address IN a jail? Localhost would start on the client machine, not in a freenas jail.

Thanks for the video.

By using the SSH forwarding command. (listed in the top post and in the video)

Hi!
Thanks for the video and tutorial
I made the config and everything is running, but when doing the SSH forwarding command in CMD I get

ssh: connect to host 192.168.3.90 port 22: Connection refused

I have an ER-x router. I need to open port 22 in port forwarding?
Sorry for the dumb question :slight_smile: im a networking noob

You should not need to forward if you are on the same local netowrk.

Yes, same IP range etc, just going trough an Unify AP wifi network…
Maybe I need to do something in my AP , ill try to find out

Ill start by testing when connected to the ER-X through lan cable, and see if I get the same problem

Keep up the good work Tom!
And thanks for all the support

1 Like

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (15:55:54)
I keep getting this error and the power of google says
"“I figured out what I was doing wrong. When accepting the share from the computer on the NAS I was accepting the default folder it wanted to create and that was at the root of the jail. Added \media\SyncThingData\ to the front of the folder name and it all works.”

My only issue here is I have no idea really what the means. I try to edit the “TrueNAS” said fold but it says source and dest, its the Dest and I cannot even select it. LTS did a video on this and I follow the steps but people are saying this error I am getting is new to 12+

Anyone able to explain like I am an rock?

When you are mapping storage you need to choose the “source” dataset from withing the TrueNAS servers and the “destination” directory within the jail.

I thought you had to have the FolderID match with Syncthing? In your video you do not so figure thats not he issue here.

Did something change in TrueNAS-12.0-U3?

The “Folder ID” is just an identifier that only matters between trusted Syncthing devices.

Got it thanks, not sure why its not working. Going to just have to drag and drop 15TB of data lol

@LTS_Tom I have my TrueNAS box behind my pfSense firewall. I want to sync file between my server in the Datacenter (also behing pfSense) and the server in my office. Is all I need to do is create NAT rule forwarding port 22000/TCP 22000/UDP to my syncthing server at both ends?

Will it be better to create an openvpn/wiregauard vpn to link the 2 syncthing servers?

Thank you

I prefer VPN bu the protocol is encrypted, VPN just ads another layer.

@LTS_Tom Thank you for your reply. I cannot get wireguard or zerotier to work in the TrueNAS jail so I will have to do it over the internet. Do I need to open the port in pfSense or will syncthing use another way to connect?

The receiving side needs to be open to accept connections.

@LTS_Tom Thank you very much

@LTS_Tom at about 9:52 into the video you use Firefox to log into the SyncThing jail, what system are you running Firefox from? I’m accessing my TrueNAS Core box (192.168.30.140) from my Windoze machine. My SyncThing jail is @ 192.168.30.178. I’ve tried …178/syncthing, and …178:8384 with no luck.

I do have SyncThing (v1.18.1) currently running from a plugin and have no trouble accessing it from 192.168.30.166/syncthing/.

I’m trying to get SyncThing going in a jail go get the latest version, and because I hear plugins are to be avoided.

Thnx for all your pointers on TrueNAS, Plex, pfSense, etc…

I don’t really use Jails in Core anymore so not sure what they changed. You can go into the jail and change the listening address so it will talk to outside systems or setup a local port forward via SSH.