Linux Gaming (Pop os) and Hackintosh

Hello

I am about to put in a new computer my thought is to run Pop os on it and play some games and photo editing and other work. I have also long been eager to test building a Hackintosh therefore I covered buying parts so I can run dual boot. is this a good set for this purpose?

Intel Core i5-9600K
MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC
Fractal Design Define Mini C
GIGABYTE Z390M Gaming
Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Sport LT Grå
Samsung 970 EVO series SSD 250GB M.2 (MZ-V7E250BW)
Seasonic FOCUS+ 750W Gold
Noctua NH-U12A

Hi, I am new over here and want to open with all.
I am Jonathan and also like to play video. Just for the curiosity what games are you playing?
But I simply used to play my games on the PS. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

Dual booting that sounds like a nightmare. Linus recently did a video about doing a Hackintosh in a VM on Linux. That sounds like less of a nightmare, but you do need a dedicated graphics card for the VM.

Probably depends on the type of games you want to run, and what your expectations for performance are. Its not the fastest horse in the race, but it should cross the finish line for most games. Are you wanting to run games at 4K or 1080p? Want as high of frame rates as possible? May want to look at a better video card then. What kind of display do you have? What is the refresh rate of it? 60hz or do you have a gaming monitor?

I know nothing about Hackintosh’s, so I can’t add anything there.

Looks good to me.
Vega 56 is supported out of the box, but depending on the port you use, it might need Framebuffer patching. In my case, on a HDMI it worked out of the vox (Vega 64)
Also, I am currently dualbooting with Arch Linux and Mac.

Install Mac first, leave free space and install your preferred distribution. Add the following line for showing Clover Entry in the GRUB bootloader menu to /boot/grub/grub.cfg -

menuentry “Clover Bootloader” {
if [ “${grub_platform}” == “efi” ]; then
search --file --no-floppy --set=root /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi
chainloader /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi
else
search --file --no-floppy --set=root /usr/standalone/i386/boot0ss
chainloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot0ss
fi
}

Happy Gaming! Cheers.

Also, do consider getting a used Vega 64 or whatever

Looks like it would Hackintosh rather easily I always liked https://www.tonymacx86.com/ guides. I ran triple boot systems 2010 - 2017. I always found myself stuck in windows 10 for gaming or work specific applications and not wanting to wait to reboot to the other operating systems.

In 2017 I switched to unraid with GPU’s passed to each VM. I use synergy 1 pro to easily share one Keyboard for all VM’s. Easiest “Hackintosh” I have ever managed. Now it only takes a few seconds to switch video input option on the monitor to get the other OS.

• pop_os
  • WIN 10
  • OSX

I saw it looked very interesting:)

I play different games right now that work on linux

Thanks for all the suggestions I bought it and it works very well. on pop us and it is a new host to play on linux. so have not had time to test OS X