Linux Compatible Sound Cards - November 2023

I was wondering if anyone knows of some sound cards that are fully supported in Linux. This seems to be a problem for a lot of people.

Personally, I am struggling with this currently. I have been trying out using Linux Mint 21 as my daily driver for a few months now on my desktop. My integrated sound device only allows for the generic stereo output when I really want to use the analog 5.1 output that it is capable of.

As far as I can tell, on my Aorus TRx40 XTREME motherboard, the Realtek ALC4050H and Realtek® ALC1220-VB codec for the rear panel and Realtek ALC4050H codec + ESS SABRE9218 DAC (front panel audio) are not fully supported. In the Mint sound control window, the only selection is the analog stereo option. This does work, but is disappointing that I cannot sue my 5.1 speaker system.

So, I was looking for a compatible sound card I might add in, either a USB device or PCIe device. This is when I found that no one seems to really know. I can only find a few people able to confirm that stereo works on some cards.

Any one know if some cards that fully work?

I was looking at the Sound Blaster Audigy FX , FX V2, Xonar SE 5.1, Xonar FX AE.

Thoughts?

Okay. So, the 5.1 analog surround sound now seems to magically work. I did apply a kernel update thru the Linux Mint updater, so maybe there was a driver update or fix or something.

Or maybe it decided to work because I was threatening to replace it. Haha!

Front panel audio still does not work though.

To sum up where I am at:

• The Realtek ALC4050H and Realtek ALC1220-VB for the rear analog audio does in fact work in Linux Mint 21.2 on the Aorus TRx40 XTREME v1.0 motherboard
  • The Realtek ALC4050H codec + ESS SABRE9218 DAC for the front panel audio is not even recognized
  • I do not currently have the ability to test the digital SPDIF (Toslink) output. It does show as a device, but it only has one output profile of “Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output”

I hope this helps someone.

Did you ever get this sorted out?

I really need a PCIe x1 sound card that’ll work in Linux (Proxmox), and I’ve already experienced a SoundBlaster AE7 making my whole Proxmox server fail to boot.

This is all unexpected complex.

Sort of, I ended up getting a Unitek Y-247A USB Dongle sound card for my headphones as it claimed Linux support, but as my last post here states, the onboard Realtek ALC4050H started working after a kernel update. So, I use the Dongle because is still behaves better when booting between Windows and Linux Mint.