Laptop Reccomendations for Linux

Can anyone point me to a good resource for recommended laptop hardware for Linux distros or recommend some models?

My current Windows PC is dying and it doesn’t play well with any Linux Distro (been there done that). I’m looking for something solid/reliable and that just works with most distros without having to hunt down fixes or drivers. No gaming but it needs to be decent horsepower and ram for stuff I like to run.

I run various Linux Distros on other pc’s successfully but just wanted to get my daily Windows Laptop over as the last project because I’m through with Microsoft and their nonsense.

Thanks

I have a 14" Thinkpad T470 loaded with Ubuntu and it works great.

2 Likes

Did you manage to get the ThinkLight to work ? If so how ?

On my X201 it worked with windows but not with Linux Mint or Ubuntu Mate.

I have a Lenovo T430 i7, ssd, Linux Mint 20. The laptop has an mSATA inside so I have a 32GB card and dual boot Mint/debian. Also, the cdrom caddy can be changed to accept another ssd.

1 Like

Were you able to load Debian non-free and have all the hardware work? I find that is a really good test case for stable hardware with Linux.

Thanks everyone for sharing so far. Appreciate the suggestions. Keep them coming.

I’ve been using a Lenovo ThinkPad T530 that I purchased used 4 yrs ago. I upgraded the RAM to 16 GB, installed 2x 500 GB SSD’s. Pretty much any of the Lenovo ThinkPad line will work. System 76 is another place to look.

Many of the Lenovo Thinkpads work well with Linux and some are now starting to ship with Linux. I have an Thinkpad L480 that works well, but for an even better Linux experience there are the System 76 systems. https://system76.com/laptops

1 Like

Thanks Everyone… Looks like the SSD in my current laptop has been added to the list of items starting to fail in this well used 5 year old laptop so it became a little more critical to order something right away. Especially because it’s my daily driver.

I got a really good deal on a Lenovo T490 configured with the 10th gen i7-10510U
(Model: 20RY0002US)

I checked the hardware specs against support for various Linux Distros and it appears even the Intel AX-201 WiFi 6 adapter that comes in this laptop is supported in Linux Kernel 5.2 and later which would be in the Distro(s) I intend to run.

Looking forward to my new unit and putting this old girl out of her misery. LOL
Now if I can just get all my stickers off and transferred. Hahahahahahaha

I appreciate everyone’s input and I’ll let you know how it works out.

Got the Lenovo T-490 build listed above and happy to report it’s dual booting Linux with Windows 10 really well. I’m keeping the Win 10 pro for certain software I can’t find for Linux or run in Linux using WINE but that is all it’s there for.

Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions on which hardware to get.

There many laptops in market which are working well with linux such as asus vivobook, lenovo thinkpad and acer nitro etc. but my recommendation will be, “you should go with MacBook series”. Macbook always stay faster than others laptop model or series only for her powerful processor. You can check MacBook Pro spec’s and price below

https://mcsolution.com.bd/laptop/apple/macbook-pro/

I didn’t say you must be purchase this one, But you can put this one in your considering list. I hope it will be helpful for you.