KVM over IP questions

Hello everyone,

I am new here and a newbie when it comes to networking. I have been researching for the past month and purchasing equipment for the new house that I am moving into next month. I am setting up a home lab that will have five servers. I am wanting to be able to KVM into them at anytime anywhere I am whether it be at home or in a different state. The research I have done is telling me that is called KVM over IP which sounds right but not at the same time and I am not sure why. Some questions I have are:

1. Will KVM over IP work for what I am wanting to do?
  2. Does anyone have a recommendation on gear I will need?

I know I can RDP into the machine but I am wanting KVM setup just in case I need to access the BIOS of a server when I am away. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I do apologize if this is a repeat question on the forum.

There are some companies that make IP KVM’s but they can be a bit pricey. A much better solution is getting servers that offer IP KVM built into the board, such as the Dell iDrac enterprise option.

I will have to see if the servers I am getting have that built-in. I do know they have SuperMicro motherboards. They are decommissioned Dual E5 2670v2 servers. I will check on the built-in IP KVM, thank you for the advice.

Check this out
Raspberry Pi powered KVM using tinypilot it is free and open source but they charge a license fee for authentication (weird pricing model to me but whatever)

Here’s a youtube video of it in action from Craft Computing