Is there existing video guidance to help me figure out how many WAPs I need in my house?

In a recent video on unifi wifi, Tom mentioned “More is better” with respect to designing a wifi. Now I can’t find that video or some guidance that I thought he referred to (maybe another video on the topic?)

Is there an existing resource you can refer me to so that I can figure it out?

Thanks

Not sure if you can find what you are looking for.

If you are able to run cable to where you want your APs, then I would just buy one and inspect the results, IMO placement of the AP will have the greatest effect.

1 Like

Each location is different and the more obstacles the more issues you will have. Start placing them in locations that will have the fewest obstructions between the devices and the AP.

1 Like

This house is 260m2 so about 2500 sq ft Lots of internal walls/partitions. 4 bedrooms, office, garage, lounge, kitchen/living room, garage. I live in the sub tropics so all internal walls are timber frames with plaster cladding.

I’m trying to design a new home network. I’m ok with the wired part but the wifi has me wondering after Tom said that more WAPs are better. I had thought that it was the other way around for manageability.

As a newbie to networking (my IT knowledge is in systems and data, not infrastructure) I’m not sure if I can buy say 2 APs and let devices connect through a wall or two, or is the dgredation so bad that I’m better off with a WAP in each room? Although that sounds like hard work with tuning channel and signal strength to reduce interference.

I want to have up to 30 devices on the wifi with good performance and ability to roam around the building. I currently only have internet of 100meg down and about 30meg up. gbps is coming soon

Thanks

All I would add is if you are able to, run as much cable as you can, I’d say a minimum of 2 runs to each room. That was my thinking when I did my house (mainly so I could have a LAGG connection to the switch in the room), now I would perhaps double that at least for a few of the rooms. Honestly while I could still add more runs now, I’m too lazy :slight_smile:

I’ve got a single TP-Link EAP245, I’ve gotta say it’s pretty good for the price. I’d say you’d want the following:
a) roaming between APs
b) vlan capable / multiple SSIDs
c) 2 ethernet ports, the 2nd allows another AP to be daisy-chained which can be handy
d) read the manual, you’d be surprised that there are differences in hardware models
e) check the AP is still supported

A controller might be needed, usually you can run this on a vm perhaps even a raspberrypi, so you don’t necessarily need their hardware solution, just to keep the costs down.

My guess is that you will need far fewer APs then you think, my old wifi from routers and extenders reached about 9 or 10, I was able to replace it by an optimally placed single AP.

1 Like

Thanks @neogrid.

Glad to have some of my learnings/thinking confirmed. Lots of cables, although I was thinking abut spares and expansion. hadn’t considered LAGG (I had to google that :slight_smile: )

Hi @LTS_Tom, do you remember that statement you recently made in a video that with regard to WAPs, “More is bettter”? I’m trying to understand that and apply that to my design. I recall you referring to another video for more details but can’t find it. If you can remember, I’d llove the link"

Thanks everyone for your help

Rusty

I have said that in a few videos, probably this one too:

1 Like

Thanks @LTS_Tom That’s the one I saw that got me started with this question :slight_smile:

More is better but it also depends on what exactly you are trying to do over wireless. If you are just browsing the Internet or basic streaming you might be fine with a few. If your needs include lots of pushing large files over the wifi and maximum throughput matters more will definitely be better. I would say for some general guidance (in a smaller home) you may be just fine for standard internet with 3 in a normal 2 level house staggered about between the floors. In a larger 3000-5000sq house you may need 5 or more for solid but basic coverage (meaning not caring too much about max speed). If you have a layout, wall makeup, along with your goals, that would help us be able to give you more of a general idea.

Because I use Unifi with my clients I use their design tool which will show a heatmap over your floorplan. I don’t need to see the heatmap but I feel it instills a lot of confidence in my clients and makes me look good. If you have a floor plan it can be helpful. https://design.ui.com

Always wire things in if you can and run extra wires for the future, especially to the media center and office areas.