Installing outside AP help needed

Residential question here. I have modem > opnsense > gwn7822 switch. I currently have two indoor APs. I’m going to install an outside AP for further coverage behind my home but noticed it has a grounding lug. How imperative is it to bond it? I imagine I would have to install a ground rod as it wouldn’t make sense to wrap a ground wire. If so then what gauge wire am I looking at? My isp is currently bonded to the exterior ground at the demarc.

Thanks for the help!

Yes you need to ground the access point per NEC 810 and provide surge protection. If damage to a home is determined to be a result of improper installation, an insurance company may deny claims.

Thank you very much! My search results weren’t getting me much information or I was using the wrong key words. Appreciate it!

1 Like