IGel or something similar

I am working in an environment that most of all our servers are now in AZURE (production). I have a lot of Dell MMF desktops and was thinking of installing Igel OS or something Open Source to use to connect directly to AZURE. There is no need to keep up with Windows Desktop OS and now I have to contemplate buying all new hardware for Windows 11.
I want to reuse these DELL MMFs and use either Igel OS or an Open-Source solution alternative. Has anyone delved into this?
I would look to:

1. Easy Setup
  2. User Authentication from Windows DC
  3. When user logs in it open either Azure Remote Desktop or directly to the WVD environment they work in.
  4. Able to manage the new OS updates.

Anyone doing anything like this? That can share their setup ideas and experiences.

Does anyone know about Tiny Core Linux?

I am not exactly clear on what you are trying to do, but https://remmina.org/ is how I connect to Windows remote desktop from my Linux systems.

I use https://www.nomachine.com/ on both Linux and win systems. I am able to log on to win and do updates remotely. Same for Linux systems.

You might look into kasm.

It sounds like the OP is looking for a lightweight linux distro with a desktop environment suitable for using a web browser to connect to the cloud instances. If I am understanding that correctly, Puppy linux might be a good choice. You would have to set up a master image with self supplied scripts to force it to load Azure remote desktop on start up.

https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/

Thank you all. if you are familiar with iGELs. Thin Clients, I am looking for an open source solution. iGEL (just for the OS) is $200 per seat. As [Louie1961] pointed out, it is for thin client software. I have a lot of DELL MFF desktops and wanted to reuse them for the staff that just log in on the Windows Desktop to only start up the Azure Remote Desktop App.

As Windows 10 is coming to end of life, I do not want to buy 100s of new PCs just to support Windows 11 to run this app where the staff mainly work.

I have downloaded igel OS, one called TINY CORE LINUX (Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 12MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable), and will look at Puppy Linux and the article link. I might be forced to igel, but wanted to see what options I had.

I basically want to start up the PC in the linux, then it will auto start the REMOTE DESKTOP APP (unfortunately no linux version yet), and they get the sign in prompt to enter the AZURE WVD. Pretty simple. And support 2 screens.

If they have to log in locally first, then support the ability to read Windows AD… and DHCP.

Thin Client setup. That is what i was referring to. I really like remmina for remote access to servers etc… that is a nicely developed tool.

I have managed over 200 clients with IGEL. I have used in on prem AD and VMware horizon environments. Like with all software it comes with its minor issues. Overall, we have been happy with it and the support has been good. Slack community is probably where I get most of my questions or minor issues answered.

With IGEL, your remote workers can quickly and easily connect to their AVD sessions from any x86-64 device, including repurposed PCs, thin clients, or even personal devices using the IGEL UD Pocket USB bootable solution.

IGEL OS provides a read-only, modular file system that significantly reduces the attack surface and potential vulnerabilities compared to traditional Windows endpoints. Since all data is stored in the cloud and not on the local device, the risk of data breaches is minimized.

With IGEL’s Universal Management Suite (UMS), IT can centrally manage, configure, and troubleshoot all IGEL endpoints from a single console, regardless of their location.

IGEL offers a customizable and user-friendly interface for accessing AVD sessions. Features like automatic client launch on boot, custom wallpapers, and simplified login processes enhance the user experience for remote workers. Additionally, IGEL’s “Boot to AVD” configuration allows users to seamlessly access their assigned AVD workspace without navigating through multiple screens.

Thank you for the response. Did you review any other solutions similar to igel? Any other open source linux platforms that would do the same thing or something similar?

Without purchasing their hardware, what is the seat price for the software to install? Do you have to use UMS server?

Just looking for different alternatives if possible.

Sorry to drag this on. But I have been searching and not sure I am using the correct terms, but i am asking the many people in this forum that support small businesses and have rolled out LINUX as the platform for the desktop. Are there any services or apps that help you manage the linux desktops? Similar to how MS Group Policies works? Where you can also manage pushing out updates?
Thank you for your feedback

Linux on the Desktop, sure, there is the LTSP project, one big Linux server, and thin clients boot off that big server. Used in schools. Should the students mess up the thin clients, I can reset the image to default.

That is REALLY cool. What do you install on the end points? I was thinking of something like Tiny Core Linux - and have it just go into the AZURE remote desktop…

Is this what you are referring to?

Yes, you can manage IGEL OS devices without using the IGEL Universal Management Suite (UMS). The UMS is an optional management software provided by IGEL, but it is not mandatory for using IGEL OS devices.

While not strictly required, the UMS is highly recommended if you are looking to efficiently manage and secure deployments of IGEL OS devices. But for smaller deployments, testing purposes, or managing a few devices, IGEL OS can be used in a standalone fashion without the UMS management console.

The pricing likely depends on factors like the number of seats, support levels, and negotiated agreements. To get accurate seat pricing, you would need to contact IGEL directly or one of their authorized resellers/partners.

Since we used it in a financial environments and IGEL’s focus on security, optimization for virtual environments, and simplified management through a purpose-built OS gave it a distinct edge.

Found some neat alternatives -
DRBL
LTSP
OpenThinClient

These are all server based management for diskless environments managing linux boots. They cover security and access control to apps.

I wonder if I have DHCP in my domain, along with WDS Server, if installing something like this would cause issues?

You wouldn’t install anything on your clients. They are all PXE booting and getting the OS from the server. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean

Hey Maximus!!
Sorry, trying to see which post you replied to. I agree, I do not want to install anything if possible. BUT, I would only want it to startup into a specific web app.
Then they work thru that only -
Has anyone used these across WANS?