I can't get Pfsense to install

I am new to networking and computers, but I’m trying to learn. I have been trying to get Pfsense to install on a extra computer that I have. I follow the instructions on the website. Everything goes fine until it comes time to put the program on the harddrive. I have googled it but I have not found a clear answer. If I have left something out that you need to know please let me know and I will do my best to get the info.

If someone has an answer if you could keep it as simple as possible I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time and help.

I’m terrible at doing this stuff remotely and have my own challenges with PFSense but it could be that you did not format & initialize the drive (or boot volume) before the system attempted to mount it.
Also be aware that doing your own home brew install of PFsense carries a ton of caveats, particularly for someone who is really inexperienced with tech and networking.

If this continues to be a challenge, i’d suggest trying OPNSense, I had better luck with the install.
I’ve gleaned from reading comments Lawrence systems seems to have a preference of Pfsense over OPNSense but the latter is more user friendly IMO.

Welcome to tech and networking, half the fun is experimenting to see what works. I started my own journey like yourself over 20 years ago (before they actually had schools for this crap! :upside_down_face: ).

Take a look at the documentation Installing and Upgrading | pfSense Documentation

It would appear not to see the drive, test if the drive works with another operating system, if so it may not be supported in pfsense.