How to structure topic titles?

I would like to share with this community how my home network is setup, which quirks I’ve encountered and how I got around them, but I’m wondering how I should mark the title of that post.

Browsing the categories and reading just the titles of the different topics, I have a hard time determining what I will expect when I click the post: Like, is this someone experiencing this problem, just asking about it or already providing a solution for it.

Similarly, thinking of the post I want to publish here, I would initially title it something like “Home Network: ESXi + pfsense + unifi + docker”, but then again, from the perspective of someone else, I wouldn’t immediately see if that’s a question or a guide.

So I’m proposing some kind of optional labeling standard that folks can adopt when they explicitely want to, like prefixing with certain flags.

For example:
“[Guide] Home Network: ESXi + pfsense + unifi + docker”
or
“[Guide] How to setup this and that in pfsense”
as opposed to just
“How to setup this and that in pfsense”

Other prefixes could include [Question], [Meta] or [Tip].

3 Likes

While I really like this idea and I may come up with a schema that works for when I post topics, getting everyone to follow a self impost method of posting will be a challenge. Do you have a link to another forum where they are using this so I could get some ideas and insight?

1 Like

One example I can think of is Movies & TV SE, where they are using tags like “plot-explanation”, “film-techniques” and, in the past, “identify-this-movie” as a way to tell what the scheme of your post is.

I don’t know the first thing about Discourse and whether it’s capable of this, but a tagging system where you can e.g. select tags from a dropdown might work for this.
Another way of realizing this I can think of is creating sub-categories (if that’s possible).

Computer Hardware & Server Builds
  ⮡ Guides
  ⮡ Tips
Networking & Firewalls
  ⮡ Guides
  ⮡ Tips
  ⮡ Configurations
Tech News
  ⮡ Security
  ⮡ Products
  ⮡ Fun stuff

Those were some of the ideas I had, but I can understand that it might be difficult to agree on a fixed list of tags/sub-categories and maintain them.