How to recover data from an unallocated hard drive?

I was messing around with a NAS setup using OpenMediaVault with hard drives in a USB Bay and it went a bit wrong.

Now I have a 8TB drive which OMV no longer recognises and when I plug it into my linux laptop it says it’s an “unallocated” hard drive, prompting me to format it.

I’ve seen plenty of solutions that I can buy for windows after a google search, however, is there a way that I can recover my data from this disk on linux ?

Do you know what format the hard drives where formatted in ?

In OMV it says ext4.

If I inspect it with Disks I see:

there is testdisk and ddrescue to recover data, if that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll look these up and give them a go.

@pavlos thanks for the recommendation of ddrescue, that worked to recover my data to another hdd. I’m still a bit miffed I was able to copy 8TB of data to a hdd and then it becomes unallocated, not once but twice !!

Also noticed that when I format the hdd to ext4 file system in Openmediavault, it reserves a few MBs, when I use Disks or GParted far more space is reserved.

Assume this is the DDRescue you used? By chance have you tried PartedMagic for the reformat/partition? Just learning about them myself but they seem to work in unison with each other.

No I haven’t tried those, the command line is fairly simple, though you can make an error pretty easily when using disks of the same size.
I have since come across several packages / OS that rescue data. DDRescue seemed to work ok, albeit it took 33 hours for a 8TB drive.

What I hadn’t noticed in the past was that the overhead used for the file system can vary dramatically, from 168MB to 300GB on my 8TB drives.