Home network set up

Oh, and for the record, those are wired 568A

crap didn’t know it mattered if they were RJ45. Thanks

@2twisty, How can you see the difference between phone or data in the first image, since all 8 wires are wired in?

1 Like

My electrician friend also said they look like they can carry data so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t be able to carry data…

1 Like

Agreed. You may have to recrimp the ends but there’s not reason (after getting permission) that those couldn’t carry 1 Gbps data. Also make sure the 568A or B is the same at both ends.

1 Like

You mean recrimp if they fail testing or something right? You don’t see something inherently wrong with how they are currently?

And yep got permission! Landlord happens to agree that ethernet would be more useful in today’s day and age anyways.

The wall outlets look fine as long as the 568a standard is followed. I’ve heard of builders pulling CAT5e and using it for phone. Definitely acceptable. Its just that when that wire is repurposed for data that the ends may need to be redone because what is in the panel where all the wiring comes together is not going to work for data. Since it’s not your place you can buy a few inexpensive keystone’s and crimp down the lines in that box to 568a standard then put an inexpensive switch in there. If you owned the place or if the owner wants to pay for parts you could go farther and properly wire up a networking patch panel. Either way just having the correct wire type in place puts you so far ahead in terms of the amount of work you now don’t have to do. Have fun!

@RobbieD

Those MIGHT carry data. You can see that you lose a lot of twist in the wires, and I’ve never encountered a data jack that is built like that.

Additionally, since those jacks are wired 568A and they terminate in a telephone 110 block, it tells me that the system that was attached to them was a phone, not a network. Or, if it was a network, it was a 10Mbit network at the best.

Given that the cable is cat5e, that means that 10/100 was at least normal at the time that the cable was installed.

If you want to give it a go, it can’t hurt. But if you’re going to the trouble of putting jacks or a patch panel on the other end, you might as well spend the extra $3 per port and get new jacks and faceplates.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone here I crimped my first Ethernet cables, and got wired up with an ER-X with a switch along the way. The only hitch I have now is one of the cables is failing to test no matter how well I crimp it. Might have to redo the wall jack!

(Don’t mind my messy wires, in the process of cleaning this up!)

Thanks again everyone!

2 Likes