This is my current rack setup. I know, I know I have dust issues. Please don’t judge me.
I purchased Unifi UDM-Pro this past weekend and it it finally delivered. I am trying to figure out where to add into the rack. My UPS is currently on the floor. I am also planning on upgrading my Synology DS1513+ to the Synology 1821+.
However, I realized that when I do these upgrades, the Synology 1821+ will need a separate shelf on its own (or go on top of the rack). I received recommendations that I should look into a rack mount ups (instead of the one on the floor) and I should look into a fan as well. Another recommended that I should just buy a rack mount NAS instead of the DS. So then I started looking at the RS1221+
Here are the options I see and would love to get some feedback for idea bouncing.
- Option 1 - Keep my current rack, add the UDM-Pro (somewhere), add the DS1821+ at the top.
- Option 2 - Keep my current rack, add the UDM-Pro, buy the RS1221+ instead.
- Option 3 - Get a new rack (21U), provides enough room for everything, and I can put each DS1513+ and DS1821+ on separate shelves
- Option 4 - Keep current rack, purchase another 12U rack and put it underneath the current rack (or next to it)
Use Cases for my current NAS
- file server
- media sharing
- family device initial backup
- rack sits 2 feet away from my desk in the closet.
- I thought about putting it in the garage but would require tons of re-wiring.