[help] XCP-NG installation problem

So i tried to install XCP-ng latest version on my build using same step-by-step in ?v=bG5enpij0e8;
MSI H110 PRO-VH, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700

the installation goes well, i did everything pretty much in default (includes the DHCP, and NTP) and not installing Supplemental Packs because i’m not sure what it does. but whenever it’s done installing and it said to unplug removable drives then press [Enter] to reboot, after rebooting, the BIOS are just looped back into bios setup because it can’t find any OS to start.

what i already tried so far;

• Reinstall
  • Redownload xcp-ng images, make sure the hash is match, then Reinstall again
  • Reinstall with maked-sure image and then use package check using http source
  • Reinstall using netinst image
  • Reinstall to another drive
  • Reinstall to another blank drive (brand new ssd with no partition on it)

none of them works. after installing, reboot, ta-da no OS is installed (that’s what the BIOS said). then i rewatched the video again, noticed that my installer has no XCP-ng orange splashscreen, rather, my boot installation is directed to GNU Grub 2.0.2 with black background. when on start installing, it does warns me that existing installation is detected but can’t be upgraded therefore it will be overwrited (and make sure i have a backup). i also already make sure the intel virtualization technology are enabled.

i tried to check thoroughly on the BIOS. on my BOOT options it seems this motherboard is forced to use UEFI. the options are
[UEFI]
[UEFI/LEGACY]
I can’t choose legacy completely. (Does XCP-ng requires legacy bios?). is there something i could do to make xcp installed on my machine? or was i missing important step to make xcp properly installed?. or is there any documentation that i could read further for basic installation?

thank you in advance

1 Like

I always install without UEFI and a quick search in their forums makes me think it is no fully supported yet

1 Like

hi Tom, thank you for reference. i guess i should look a way for my Motherboard to make it uses Legacy BIOS (which unfortunately can’t do it atm).

just now i tried to install xcp-ng on my another motherboard (asrock AB350M-HDV, 4gb ram, ryzen 3 2200g) and it seems works. looking forward to study it along with putting pfsense on it.

2 Likes

@netcate @LTS_Tom When you go to the boot options on your motherboard, there should be an option for the installation flash drive that is EFI and one that is Legacy. Choose the legacy option and it will boot it as legacy and allow it to do a legacy install. The combo mode supports both legacy and EFI options. It just makes a duplicate entry for all boot media where you can manually choose whether it is legacy or not.

2 Likes

@netcate If what guiltykeyboard said doesn’t work, I have experienced (on two of my motherboards) that I had to disable every UEFI boot device in BIOS to actually get XCP-ng to install in legacy mode. If I didn’t, it would still install in UEFI mode even if I chose legacy USB. And after the install was finished, I would get the default message of no proper boot device.

2 Likes

Really glad that I found your discussion on the USB drive boot issue for XCP-ng.
I have a bunch of HP 8300 SFF PCs, they are great for running hypervisors with an Intel i7-3770. Anyway, the ISO from XCP-ng only booted to grub 2.0.2. So I tried to boot it as legacy by turning off all UEFI devices in BIOS, but gave me a “Trying to boot from USB device” message.
What made the boot work was enabling just the UEFI for the USB-drive, and leaving the rest of the UEFI devices disabled.
Success! Now I get to figure out how to continue the installation and use XCP-ng as the hypervisor for our independent high school.

1 Like