Help with pfSense DNS Forwarder

Hi All,

I’m having an issue with the pfSense DNS forwarder.
I have several subnets routing through a Cisco router. I am wanting to use pfSense as a DNS forwarder.

I have turned on the forwarder and set the upstream DNS servers in the General settings.
So far so good, all working well. The issue comes when I try to use Host overrides for internal addresses.

When I try to resolve a host in the host override section, it resolves ok, but it also forwards the request to the upstream DNS server - currently this is my DNS server, not a public one. I would like to take my DNS server out of the picture and just have pfSense resolve local addresses and then forward to public. I do not want to be forwarding my internal names to the public DNS.

Domain override is similar - it will forward the request to the override DNS server, but also to the upstream remote DNS servers.

It is interesting that the DNS Resolution Behavior in General Settings is set to use Local DNS with fallback to remote. If I set this to local only it works fine for the override hosts, but can obviously no longer resolve public addresses.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Sam

I don’t think forwarder will work for that, use DNS resolver.

Thanks!
All working now.
I’m sorry I missed that video.

Side note - Your channel is one of the best on YouTube.
I cannot tell you how much I have learned from you.

Thanks again!!!

1 Like