I want to setup a router/firewall that can support multiple WAN connection types. Any hardware recommendations would be appreciated.
- Preferably this would be a separate ethernet device
- Wifi client
- Not high on the priorieties but would be nice use something in the airmax family as I am occasionally at sites with LOS to varies 5ghz devices (nanobeam, nanostation, ect)
- could be integrated if the device supports an external antenna so that it can be installed on the exterior
- runs on 12 volts DC
- somewhat rugged and large operating temperature range
Nice to haves
- integrated wifi
- ability to connect to captive portals
I was trying to keep it modular, mainly for ease of upgrading in the future as more 5g hardware comes on the market.
- mikrotik configured with a script to toggle the WAN interface between cell and wifi, the only issue with this is Im not sure how I would route LAN traffic to said AP to change the SSID as needed. Possibly a ubiq device with two ethernet interfaces can do this.
- mikrotik flashed with openwrt - low cost, rugged, readily available hardware, assuming I am understanding the travelmate package it would check the captive portal box
- For the wifi client use an RPI with USB wifi than NAT the two interfaces and have a small touch screen for managing the wifi connection
- PC engines apXX running pf or opensense