Hardware advice needed for running a few VMs

Hi all,

I’m back to give you some news.

Thanks again for your very valuable input on this matter. The scope changed a bit. We might need to deploy a couple of linux VMs, such as a web server for an asset manager (I was looking at Snipe-IT and it looks promising). Also a VMs for a staging/testing environment for a custom made web app we use, and also the Unifi controller that is hosted on a Raspberry Pi 3.

So Management accepted to fund the project a bit more. And I now have a budget of around $1,200 (including licenses). So I was thinking of a Dell poweredge T140 with the Xeon 2224G, with 2x 500GB SSDs in Raid 1 and boosting the RAM to 32GB. It looks decent to me, but let me know if you have any good suggestions.

Regarding licensing, I totally understand @Greg_E pov and I also understand where we are and the delicacy of the subject. Thanks for sharing those links. I’ll read them carefully. Indeed, it’s rough for small companies price-wise.

Anyway. Thanks again guys. I’ll keep you updated.
Cheers

Oh man boost the ram to 128GB ! Ram is a bit pricey but I would build the machine now rather than seeking more budget later.

I’d definitely take that controller off the RPi and stick it in a vm, I’ve been using them for years but they have a tendency to go wrong, either the case, USB, hub or OS just freezes.

Those docs are correct. In order to use VDI you need need either a Windows or Microsoft 365 Enterprise license that includes VDA or you need to purchase VDA separately. If you don’t need the additional features of E-3 or E-5 then the VDA is often the best choice, and sometimes the only choice aka the user’s primary device is a nix based.