Google Chat as Slack alternative?

Does anyone have experience with Google Chat? It is part of Google Workspace, formerly known as G Suite.

If so, what do you think?

I have used Slack (which I like), but it is expensive to keep message history. Also Slack is now owned by Salesforce, so who knows what will happen with pricing.

Tom has a YouTube video on Google Chat and they switched from Slack to Google Chat starting in Nov 2018. There is another forum post from Feb 19 that says Tom is still using Google Chat at LTS. Does anyone know if they are still using it now?

Are there any downsides to Google Chat that I don’t know of? Can it really do everything that Slack can do?

I have also considered alternatives:

• Rocket Chat but found it to be buggy.
  • Mattermost but we also need a mobile app that works well on iOS. The App Store reviews for Mattermost (and Rocket Chat) say that the apps are buggy and there are issues with notifications.

P.S. I have also used Teams, which is good, but I would like to avoid it since we are already paying for Google Workspace.

We still use Google Chat, works well as a Slack replacement. They finally added this feature:
https://support.google.com/a/answer/9296706
which is nice and a feature that was way easier in Slack.

1 Like