Freenas SMB share does not set RW to "others"

Hello everyone.

I 've been trying to setup a Samba Share in FreeNAS -11.2-U7 for a couple of days now, and no matter what parameters I use both server side or client side (Xubuntu 18.04), can’t get it to work like I expect.

This share is based on a dataset that includes all my files for Plex. It has been mounted as a mount point to the Plex jail. I want to be able to copy files from the client to the share and have them have 0777 permissions, in order for the Plex Server to be able to scan its libraries.

But despite everything I tried, each new file or folder, gets 770 permissions and thus the Plex user in the jail does not scan it. I’ve tried file_mask and directory_mask, force create, both server side and client side options (fstab). The dataset permissions are 777 recursively applied.

It must be something simple that I miss. Any ideas?

Try setting each use to be in the same group and make sure that group owns the dataset.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I thought of something like that but since the Plex plugin is in a jail, isn’t it agnostic of the system users in Freenas? Dataset onwer and group is “media”. New files and directories get media:media 0770. How could I have a jails user “sort of map” to a system user?

Tried creating user “media” and group “media” in the Plex jail with the same uid, gid as in Freenas and adding group “media” as a secondary group to Plex but to no avail.

@pmik76 – What’s in your smb.conf file?

Also as a side note. I find smb implementation in FreeNAS to be different than Linux. I’ve discovered this trying to play around with permissions in relation to TimeMachine Shares. I’ve asked a lot of questions in the FreeNas forums in relation to permissions and such (and as why the same smb.conf file produces different results in Freenas 11.2U7 vs Arch) and really haven’t received a great explanation. There are a lot of things going on under the hood with smb in relation to FreeNAS and the developer writing the code keeps referencing 11.3 as when these changes will take place.

After rant
perhaps posting the relevant sections of your smb.conf file will help.

I changed the config so many times around there is no point to it.
Thanks for the interest.
I went another way and it worked.
I created a user “plex” in freeNAS, with uid=972 (the same with the user plex in the plugin jails), member of “media” group and assigned the ownership of the media dataset to it. Problem solved.

WHAT a pleasure! To see others are tortured as I am. (I kid) …

So, my FN machine is pretty decent HW.

Dell PowerEdge T620
Quad Xeon
48GB 1333MHz ECC RAM
8x IBM 10TB HGST 7200rpm HDs
10GbE SFP+
ZRAID-2

Yet … I get < 200MB/s …

I was told to try SMB to see if that fixed the slow perf…

Frustratingly, 11.2 U5, U6 & U7 … SMB hasn’t worked at all (based on what I read above re: smb.conf, I think we’ve gone down similar roads) …

I tried most of the troubleshooting steps I could follow and eventually gave up in the hopes that 11.3 would really move the tech-issues along …

Has anyone with the aforementioned SMB issue tried 11.3 RC with success that suggests we’re about to have this issue fixed…?

Thanks y’all.

Truman

So the issue is perf as tested with iperf3 or is the issue with SMB?