FreeNAS Migration from USB to SSD Boot

Morning all,

I’m migrating from a 9 year old Supermicro server to a new Dell R530.

I’m currently using dual USB boot drives and it’s been running like this for 3 years now. It’s currently housing six 8TB WD Reds.

I want to install a riser card like this in the new Dell R530 and then install two M.2 SSDs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017IM54GM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2Q1LRYTXHYQ2K&psc=1

What’s my best migration path??

1. Save the config from the old server, install new FreeNAS on new M.2s, load config, and physically move data drives.
  2. Move USB drives to new server, pull one and have FreeNAS rebuild boot array on new M.2, then pull second USB drive and rebuild on other M.2, move data drives.

Thanks guys!
BB

I load fresh on the new drives confirm the new system boots up, restore config from old system the new one and move the drives over.

1 Like

Thanks Tom - Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Just want to be clear…
When you install on the fresh system you are going to install the same version that you were running on the USB?

Or are you really installing a newer version?

I’ve had to do the install “what you are currently running” way a couple of times, and it isn’t really scary anymore. But I didn’t think you could “version up” during this change (I might be misinterpreting this).

Now moving chassis is even better, in theory you could go straight back to the old chassis if things didn’t work.

I plan to leave my old box untouched. Then install the same version on my new server onto the new SSD’s and make sure they are booting properly.

Then move the drives from the old server to the new server and load the configuration on the new server.

That should work just fine.

I just wanted to respond back for anyone watching and tell how easy this was. Installed FreeNAS on the new box and loaded the config. Calls for reboot and I had to tweak the network settings for it to get an IP. Then shutdown and moved over the physical days drives. Worked like a charm! It took longer to unscrew the HDD brackets and install the new ones.

2 Likes

@blboyd For clarification, did you get the R530 to boot from the drives on that StarTech m.2 SATA SSD controller card?

If so, can you explain more about your config, such as BIOS vs. UEFI, and any other settings you might have needed to set?

I ask because I want to get an R530 to boot from a similar PCIe SATA controller using a 2.5-inch SSD. My goal is to boot from that so that I can retain all of the front SAS bays for storage disks.

Most of the other information I’ve seen is about PCIe NVME storage. Since PCIe bifurcation is a problem on the R530 and that affects NVME, I was thinking that PCIe SATA would be an alternative. Plus, I have simply have 2.5-inch SSDs to spare at the moment.

Thanks!

Both of my main servers are running on plain old SATA SSD in a mirror, and my oldest system is still USB 2 drives, also in a mirror.

If I was smart, I would have ordered the two newest servers with the SATA DOM or a card for M.2 drives for the system. Next time I’ll do that. For system drives I’m not sure how much speed is an issue. For cache and main storage NVME is important.

@Greg_E Are you also running R530, like @blboyd?

No, I’m running Supermicro X10 servers.