Dual Dynamic IP's from Fibre ISP

I’m stumped…

I’ve been running a cable internet connection for years… Utilizing the ISP device as provided, it contains both the modem and a 4-port switch. I’ve had the ISP configure my connection to provide 2 dynamic IP addresses. Really simple, just plug and go…

Full Unifi network from headend, to tail end, 2 USG’s, Switches, and AP’s all running off my controller…

Now, I’m going to be going to convert my connection to a Fibre Optic connection with an ISP provided single port ONT. They have indicated that I’m going to be able to derive 2 IP addresses from that device.

Cool, I’m told that all I need to do is place an additional switch between my ONT and the 2 USG’s. Ok I can handle that…

Here’s my dilemma, should I use a dumb switch? I don’t really see just how a Unifi managed switch would work in the instance…

Or, have I missed something, overlook the obvious etc… any suggestion would be of great help…

Cheers….

you can use a Unifi managed switch if you have a second cable between it and the LAN side of one of your networks, and then all the public IP stuff would exist in a VLAN only on that one switch.

Second option is to create the public IP VLAN on one of your larger switches. This is known as a “Core Switch” configuration - the idea being that EVERYTHING connects into that switch - including both the WAN and LAN of any router/firewall/gateway type devices.

Third option as you say is to use an unmanaged or non-unifi smart/managed switch.

Thank you so much for the suggestions… your second option sounds like a solution I can live with, and implement… As well as the dumb switch option… I work well with dumb devices…

Again, thanks for the response… Cheers

David