Does shutting down XCP-NG from console cleanly shutdown VMs?

Hey all.

Firstly a big shout out to Tom. As a fellow MSP owner, your work is invaluble so thank you.

After watching Tom’s videos on XCP-NG I have fallen in love with the product. I am curious however, when issueing the shutdown command to XCP on the command line for example, does it cleanly issue the shut command to all VMs (tools installed on all) currently powered up before the host itself powers down or reboots?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just done a test by watching the console whilst issuing the reboot command and it shuts down cleanly. Awesome.

Also, when in HA setup and you reboot on of the hosts, it will move the VM’s set to HA to another running hosts.

Xenserver / XCP-NG 8.0 HA / High Availability Cluster Setup

Cheers Tom. I am actually running the hosts in Continuous replication mode after seeing your video on it. Am doing so as both have very fast SSD’s in them and I am only running simple Linux VMs so it works well. About to install and configure uPower on the hosts (m4800 Dell Laptops). If anyone is interested, this is how you do it on latest version of XCP. Cheers:

Download and Install Packages

wget h_ttp://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/libplist-1.12-3.el7.x86_64.rpm
wget h_ttp://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/libimobiledevice-1.2.0-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
wget http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/libusbmuxd-1.0.10-5.el7.x86_64.rpm
wget http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/upower-0.99.7-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
yum install libplist-1.12-3.el7.x86_64.rpm
yum install libusbmuxd-1.0.10-5.el7.x86_64.rpm
yum install libimobiledevice-1.2.0-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
yum install upower-0.99.7-1.el7.x86_64.rpm

Check Battery Information

To check what battery is seen as on a device level (ID):

upower -e

Battery information can then be displayed:

upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0

Configure UPower

By default it comes with a configuration in /etc/UPower/UPower.conf which activates hybrid sleep once the battery level reaches critical values. The default for the critical level is 2%.

For users of other distributions, the relevant entries for /etc/UPower/UPower.conf are:

PercentageAction=50
CriticalPowerAction=PowerOff

You can also use TimeAction together with UsePercentageForPolicy=false to let the action be carried out once only the specified time is left:

TimeAction=120

The valid values for CriticalPowerAction are PowerOff , Hibernate and HybridSleep . If HybridSleep is set but not available, Hibernate will be used. If Hibernate is set but not available, PowerOff will be used.