Documenting a new client - In or Out of Scope

Hello Guys,

Our agreement with one of our clients does not specify documenting all of the client’s infrastructure and applications: IT Environment Documentation, for short.

Is our agreement out of normal services scope or I should bill it as out of scope.

Tks
Morris

I am not clear on your question, your agreement can be what ever you and the client agree to.

Tks Tom.

The agreement doesn’t specify documenting the existing IT environment.

Cheers
Morris

Essentially, if I touch it, I document it. It will only make your work easier in the future. Also, if it’s on the network, I notate that it’s there, and what it is. If DHCP with Dynamic IP addresses that aren’t reserved/static, then I notate the MAC address of the device from a network scan. any network scanning tool can do this.

That being said, any documentation you make to manage a client’s system… well, you may need to talk to a lawyer for your specific area about this, but in my own example, if it’s not strictly included in the SOW/Agreement, then I don’t include it. I would then charge the customer a fee to compile all my notes, etc. into a runbook in order to handover any requested information. Any information you hand over, be sure to keep a second copy, signed by the POC so they can’t say you’re withholding their information…

1 Like