Do you really need an RMM?

If you have a separate Online/Local backup solution, Remote Access, and Nextgen AV with dashboard and Windows Patching do you really need an RMM tool?

A couple of useful things with RMM is automating tasks for remediation and bricking a system.

2 Likes

Honestly, after using msp360 backup, I decided to try their RMM tool. It’s good enough. The patching isn’t great, but it does the job. And the price is damn nice.

My RMM is for when my remote access tool stops working :smiley:

1 Like

It really depends of if you want to scale your company with people or with tools that make that easier. We are using NinjaOne and having everything integrated into one dashboard allows us to manage over 70 separate companies without as large of a staff if we did things manually.

1 Like

If you have 10 machines to check no, you don’t. If you have a few dozens, yes it is a must.

1 Like

As you grow you’ll find a desire to move towards fewer panes of glass to manage everything. Going HERE, and going THERE, and going ELSEWHERE and going yet ANOTHER PLACE to go manage things that can be done all in one stop…gets to be a pain.

I like asset management, health/remediation, scripting, multiple remote methods, managed AV and alerts, managed patching, lots of various reports, helpdesk, and PSA tied to our various billing resources…all in one stop.

1 Like

RMM can help with patching and automation in general. As you use separate solutions, there is a chance that you still need to spend more time on tasks, that can be performed more efficiently with the all-in-on solution. The automation that RMM tools give, is the key here, in my opinion. Also, event tracking and logs + other RMM functions - available in one place is also very beneficial.

Yeah I was of the same opinion for a while. There is only a few of us in the business and doing things in differnet systems takes time. Doing it via an RMM does save time. There is a single point of failure obviosuly when relying on an RMM - but we have ScreenConnect (Soon switching to Splashtop) as a seperate product IF theres an issue with RMM.

Scale wise we want to grow, RMM makes this alot easier, especially when your going through your on boarding process. When installing the RMM agent on endpoint it does some of the hard work, for example it will deploy AntiVirus, run update scrips to bring Windows up to date and any 3rd party apps that may need updating - also allows us to remote monitor systems. the RMM monitoring may flag something during onboarding such as a failing drive or a spurious networking issue. All of this makes RMM worth having.

Sure, you can script all of this yourself… and we did for a while but then its maintaining it and that becomes a process. Using RMM takes away the element of having to update your custom script of tieing everything together.

I would recommend it, we use Syncro within my business and would not be without it.

Keep a tight ship, and make sure everything is locked down with 2FA, maintaining that across many products is also time consuming and maximizes your threat surface. RMM again, youve got one point of entry for your 2FA and its easy to maintain.