I had a hard time finding an idiot proof answer for “How to configure pfSense with Windows DNS/DHCP.”
I seem to be having a DNS issue, here are the symptoms:
Partially Fixed - Only the DCs are appearing in Windows DNS.
example: None of the devices in my Home VLAN are showing up in DNS, yet they show my DCs as their DNS servers. Same is true for the Linux VMs in my Server VLAN.
Fixed - I’m unable to connect to local file shares, RDP, or ping by using hostname or FQDN. Only works if I use the IP address.
If I try to install a TrueNAS plugin and use DHCP or specify the IP manually, the install get’s stuck at: “50% Testing plex’s SRV response to pkg.FreeBSD.org”, then the install fails.
Giving the error “Error: plex had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: pkg.FreeBSD.org could not be reached via DNS, check plex’s network configuration. Partial plugin destroyed”
Using NAT for the plugin allows it to install with no errors. This is the case for official and community plugins.
Here is my current config:
I have 2 DCs, both are setup as DNS servers.
Under Forwarders, I’ve entered the IPs for the other DC and pfSense.
“Use root hints if no forwarders are available” is unchecked.
Only the primary DC is a DHCP server.
I have scopes set for each of my VLANs. DHCP gives out the IPs of my DCs as DNS servers. I have verified that client devices are only showing the 2 DCs for DNS.
Under System/General Setup. I’ve only set 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 as my DNS.
“DNS Server Override” and “Disable DNS Forwarder” are disabled.
DHCP Server is disabled on all VLANs.
DHCP Relay is enabled for all VLANs. “Destination server” is set to my primary DC.
DNS Resolver is enabled. Under “Domain Overrides”, I’ve entered both of my DCs.
All other settings are left at default.
DNS Forwarder is disabled. Under “Domain Overrides”, I’ve entered both of my DCs.
Firewall rules are currently wide open between VLANs.
pfBlockerNG is enabled, it’s set to function on all my VLANs. I’ve tried turning off pfBlockerNG but I didn’t notice difference with this DNS issue.
I’ll keep playing around with it, hopefully I’m just oblivious to some setting that needs to be turned on.