Configuring The Free Open Source Self Hosted File Synchronization Tool SyncThing

2 Likes

Love Syncthing!

20char

lovely software, been using it on and off for many years.

If only sync is needed, syncthing is a must, or at least have a look at it and see if it fits the bill.

Our plan to test syncthing is to build a FreeNas Server and install syncthing… But instead of workstation we will try to sync our NAS Dlink’s… or the best practice is to just use it on all workstations?Atleast sync their desktop,documents and download folders?

We use it on workstations & servers. The idea is to have redundancy.

1 Like

Is it ok for like 100 workstations?

I don’t see why not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks we’ll try to use syncthing…

Thanks for this video. I have ST running on a FreeNas box. I setup the original dataset per the video instructions and a two way sync is working great. Created a group, assigned it to the dataset and granted the sync user owner of all files and subfolders. I also joined my user account to the same group and granted group full rights. The issue I have is when I save a file to the mapped share, the owner is me and syncthing complains about permissions on the files. If change the owner to sync then they get synced. Any thoughts on what I could have misconfigured?

Thanks for all your videos!

Ad your user to the syncthin group.

Hi Tom,

I’m new to SyncThing and I followed your instructions to set up the but really struggled to get a OnePlus 7T android phone to sync with my FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1 server. SyncThing would recognise the request to attach but when I accepted it I kept getting a Bad Certificate error.

Seems this is fixed with the addition of the line:

setenv GODEBUG x509ignoreCN=0

To the jail’s /etc/csh.cshrc file. I also got to re-learn a few VI commands as well.

Can’t take any credit for this it is from the SyncThing Forum.

Hope this helps anyone trying to connect a Android phone to a more recent release of FN

Peter

2 Likes

Hi,

Having successfully managed to get my android phone to sync, I can’t for the life of me get my wife’s Mac book Documents folder to sync. I keep getting a really unhelpful error message “. Operation not permitted”… What operation? is it the dot? See Picture.

If I create a folder at the same level in the hierarchy like “SyncTest” that works but the standard Documents file does not.

Has anyone had any success using Syncthing to back up the Documents folder on a MAC? If you have please let me know.

Many thanks

Peter

@LTS_Tom I know you and jay are big user of Syncthing on TrueNAS so I was wondering if you experience any performance issue when the ‘watch file’ option is enabled on folders.
I have posted my problem on the TrueNAS forum here.

Do you have any more insight/advise to offer please?

Nope, no issues to report.