Compact 10G-Capable Switch Alternative?

For those not following my other post about installing a pair of 10G switches in my home (~60 feet of cable distance apart), the switch in question, the MikroTik CSS610-8G-2S+, has software issues that are a dumpster fire of incompetence, which I don’t see being resolved soon. One of the key features of the CSS610 was it’s small size, because said switch has to fit within a wall panel. I’m talking 11.5"W x 2"H maximum. Currently, I have a 16 port NetGEAR ProSafe+, which not only fits, but has performed well.

When I first started thinking about this project, I entertained the NETGEAR 10-Port Gigabit/10G Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch (GS110EMX) as a possible solution, but was attracted by the more powerful features advertised within the CSS610. Of course advertising features and actually delivering them appear to be major problem for MikroTik, so I’m back to looking at the GS110EMX.

I absolutely hate the laughable security of no user and a default password of “password” :man_facepalming:, the semi-management interface and the hot operating temperature but at this point I’m unaware of alternatives at this size. Absent a third alternative, is anyone aware of any thorough reviews that test the 10G port speeds? All I’ve found are largely glorified unboxing videos.

As always, thanks,
MB

I am using this switch… using normal cat6a cable between my unraid server and desktop (Windows 10). Short distance. I get 1,05 GB/s from server to Desktop if that is what you asked.

1 Like

So to confirm, you’re getting ~1 gigabyte per second? That translates to around 8 gigabits per second, which is pretty close to the advertised speed. NETGEAR claims to support the speed at distance when using cat6A, so I might just have to give it a try.

Thanks!
-MB

Correct. I had some speed test with iperf but I can’t find them. I just copied a big file from my server to the desktop and windows transfer window shows 1,05GByte/s (8 Gbit/s)

1 Like