Client WG VPN, internal server - SLOW

Hello…

pfSense 2.5 with Wireguard. 300/20 Internet.

Remote clients connect to Wireguard server on my pfSense.

Internal Windows server. SLOW responses to pull files from the server - like 200Kpbs. I appreciate that 20Mbps is my max upload speed.

I’ve tried SMB V3, FTP, NFS - all SLOW. Internal LAN testing shows very fast response by the server to requests for any of these protocols.

I know that WG is fast from previous testing…

Can you give me some advice to try and trace where the speed restriction is?

Thank you

Try lowering the MTU to 1412 or 1280.

MTU can be a factor and latency matters a lot when dealing with VPN’s with file transfers:

Thanks guys…

MTU made sense to me. My WG tunnel is 1420. Tested from the Windows server to the remote device - and not a surprise that 1392 was the max MTU (1420 - 28). Set it to that - issue was the same.

And thanks Tom for the video, (actually - thanks for all your videos - been very helpful over the years). I was aware of the slowness of SMB with latency - so I tried FTP and NFS - and the problem is the same.

I know my home pfSense can easily max out my 300/20 Internet using WG connections during file transfers - pulling down to the same Windows server…

I’ll have to get educated about checking pfSense logs and trying to see what’s causing the slowdown - and I see Tom had a recent video on that too…

And get iPerf setup…

Thank you

1 Like

Found the issue - and nothing to do with pfSense.

On the Windows 10 server - network card - properties - advanced - turn Large Packet Offload for IP V4 and IP V6 to disabled.

iPerf went from 200Kpbs to 8Mbps to the remote WG client…

Does not affect UDP - only TCP…

Thanks for your replies…

1 Like