Bridging VLAN interface in pfSense

Hi,

I’ve recently got a barebone PC to run pfSense, and have encountered a roadblock, so wondering if anyone has experience in it.

So my home network is such that I have IOT devices connected to port 3 via a switch and port 4 via TP-Link EAP225, and I would like to combine them into a single vlan network. This is because my Home Assistant would break if some of the devices are on a different subnet.

So what I did was to set up a vlan (e.g. 100) on port 4 of pfSense, and then created a bridge of both port 3 + port 4(vlan100) so that I can setup dhcp to assign them to the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.33.1/24)

However, when I finished setting them up, when I tried connecting via the network, there’s no connection at all. I can get a IP from the DHCP server, but I can’t access anything at all, not even pfSense interface at 192.168.33.1

Wondering if there’s any good advice on how to proceed, thanks!

While pfsense does offer the bridging of ports:
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/bridges/index.html

It’s not something I ever use because it can be buggy, I suggest getting switch and pluggin the TP Link into that.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Realised that my post was inaccurate.

My setup is this
IOT_NET (vlan 100) 192.168.33.1/24
PFSense → Port 3 (untagged) → dumb switch → IOT devices
→ Port 4 (vlan100, vlan200, etc) → smart switch → eap225

The switch is set correctly such that my other vlans are working correctly. However when I try to bridge Port 3 (untagged) and Port 4 (vlan100) to a single interface so that they have the same subnet, the WiFi network (vlan100) will get a lease from the DHCP server, just that there’s no network connection even thought I’ve create the necessary rules.

What would you recommend other than bridging to make them the same network ?

Using a managed switch and setting up the VLAN’s and the TP Link to use it.

I guess that’s the best solution. As my barebone has 6 ports I was hoping to reduce the number of network switches, but guess it’s better this way. Thanks!