Backup Service Markups

Good afternoon all!

I was wondering if anyone is available to exchange some ideas on Backup Services Markup on costs. I’m not in the US or either EU, so no competition implied. lol.

@Tom, tks for all the previous insights you gave on my questions here at the forum. We could arrange something on the lines you are very clear on your videos on “consulting” if you have the time.

Cheers!

Morris

It might vary a bit by markets but it has to be quite a bit if you are taking on the responsibility if insuring that the clients backups are working. If you are just loading some software and hoping it’s working then that would be just some markup of a product.

2 Likes

Tks @LTS_Tom !!!

I’ll be using N-Able Backup (SolarWinds) with local and cloud backup and a periodical 3-month recovery test. I can maybe upsell 2 times a month VM recovery with screenshots for a bit more.

That’s my roadmap for this client. We are making him as a shopping window for their kind of business. (Law Firms).

Note: We already provide them with RMM and Helpdesk.

PS: We currently work with brazilian customers and may, next year or 2023, work with canadians.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Morris

1 Like

Ideally you would move towards being a Managed Service Provider. Then you would be responsible for the whole network including backups and you could make sure it all fit together.

Tks @extramile_mike. We are already a MSP, I gave the customer a 20% gross markup on server backups and a 100% markup on documents backup for workstations/laptops (which is almost free with SolarWinds (now N-Able)).

What do you think of these markups?

Tks
Morris

Why only 20% gross on the server? That number must be very large $.

Sorry, I wrote it wrong, its 40% on BRL ammounts.

It is based on the ammount of servers. Its cost plus 30hs per server a month of labour already with margin only on Backups. We are talking Brazil with a 5,26:1 BRL to USD exchange rate and the base cost is USD. We are talking around 6.4 times the ammount in USD, or 640% over USD.

We have a 366% markup in BRL on monitoring agent + billable hours h on RMM over workstations and a 200% markup on Documents backup all of the workstations/laptops.

Its not a great margin but a good ammount of money.