AT&T hotspot bypassing Wireguard/pfSense VPN

Hello all,

I have my iPhone to connect through Wireguard VPN configured on my pfSense machine and noticed that when it hotspot mode, connected devices bypass the Wireguard VPN and connect to AT&T’s IPs.

I checked on both dnsleaktest.com and dnscheck.tools and see that my hotspot connected devices are bypassing my Wireguard pfSense VPN.

My iPhone Wireguard is configured to ‘Allow IPs: 0.0.0.0/0’ to route everything through the VPN. What else can I add or configure to disable AT&T from bypassing the VPN?

Here is what I see when my device is connected to my iPhone through hotspot (bypassing VPN/pfSense):

And when I’m connected on my iPhone (passing through to my VPN/pfSense):

Thank you!

So you are trying to have devices connect to your iPhone hotspot that is connected to pfsense that is connected to wireguard?

That won’t work because when devices are connected to your phones hotpot’s it is complete separate from the networking on your WiFi network back to pfsense.

Afaik the the personal hotspot can only share the cellular data connection of your iPhone, so as @xMAXIMUSx said, this won’t work. The solution or workaround would be to establish the Wireguard connection on the respective devices that are connected to the hotspot.