ASPM Off, fans full speed running Proxmox

Hello all,

My HP Elite Mini 800 G9 running Proxmox has been running fans at full power.

I was having issues with a Realtek 2.5GbE USB to Ethernet adapter and it was suggested to turn off ASPM in the BIOS and add pcie_port_pm=off pcie_aspm.policy=performance to /etc/default/grub.

After making changes as suggested, the PC has been running the fans at full speed.

I have since replaced the Realtek USB to ethernet for a M.2 Intel 2.5GbE NIC.

I only have one node with 3 VMs. Node summary shows resources appears minimal use of CPU and RAM:

What do you guys recommend I do to get the fan speeds under control?

Since I no longer use the Realtek USB ethernet adapter, should I turn ASPM on in the BIOS and remove pcie_port_pm=off pcie_aspm.policy=performance from /etc/default/grub?

Thank you for the help! :slight_smile:

Hi,

I have the same device with an Intel 2.5GbE NIC in the flex slot. Initially, I encountered an issue where the NIC would go down after a few hours. With pcie_port_pm=off and pcie_aspm.policy=performance, it has been running for 24 hours without issues, but the fan remains on. Have you experienced the same problem? Do you have a solution to prevent the fan from always running at full speed?

Best regards

Hey danigl!

Well… I left ASMP on in the BIOS and added the following to the /etc/default/grub

quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt acpi_enforce_resources=lax

You CAN leave pcie_port_pm=off as pcie_aspm.policy=performance was what was causing the fans to run at full power. Having just pcie_port_pm=off the fans were quiet.

I don’t see the FlexIO NIC being detected as a PCIe device in Proxmox but the M.2 NIC is being detected as PCIe… I may add pcie_port_pm=off to grub if I have any issues.

With the edits I have made, the fans are quiet and the FlexIO and Intel I226V M.2 NIC are working as they should - no disconnects.

This is what I use in the M.2 slot where the WiFi/BT card goes into:

So far, fans have been quiet, NICs have been up 100% without ASPM messing with the power/output, and I’m happy as a clam!

1 Like

Hi rtorres,

thank you for your post!
Nice your solution works for you perfectly. I will also try it.

1 Like