Anyone have any w32tm tips?

So I’m setting up a new eval server before applying routines to production, and I’m fighting with w32tm again… Anyone have any tips on order of operations, which commands require the service to be stopped and which require the service running. What I’m trying to do (and finally succeeded) is this:

New AD, needs a reliable clock source for the domain members.

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:192.168.1.2 (my GPS NTP device)
w32tm /config /syncfromflags:MANUAL
w32tm /config /reliable:YES

Half the time when I do a w32tm /query /status /verbose it returns sync from hardware clock which is woefully inaccurate. I finally have it to a point where all the settings remain after a reboot so I’m all set, but w32tm always messes with me and I’m guessing it is an order of operations issues.

I have an old Time.net device, and a somewhat newer Broadcast Tools clock that I’m using right now. They seem to disagree by about 8 seconds… Maybe I’ll make a Pi based GPS clock and see if that is better or worse, I get a lot of times when the clocks do not respond to requests, and there are only about 10 things requesting time from these clocks.

C:\Users\greg>w32tm /query /status /verbose
Leap Indicator: 0(no warning)
Stratum: 2 (secondary reference - syncd by (S)NTP)
Precision: -23 (119.209ns per tick)
Root Delay: 0.0008013s
Root Dispersion: 0.0437876s
ReferenceId: 0xC0A80102 (source IP:  192.168.1.2)
Last Successful Sync Time: 2/28/2023 2:39:49 PM
Source: 192.168.1.2
Poll Interval: 8 (256s)

Phase Offset: 0.0052541s
ClockRate: 0.0156248s
State Machine: 2 (Sync)
Time Source Flags: 0 (None)
Server Role: 576 (Reliable Time Service)
Last Sync Error: 0 (The command completed successfully.)
Time since Last Good Sync Time: 54.1351831s

Set on PDC domain controller:
w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"0.ca.pool.ntp.org 1.ca.pool.ntp.org 2.ca.pool.ntp.org 3.ca.pool.ntp.org" /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

Restart service:
net stop w32time & net start w32time

Verify config:
w32tm /query /configuration
w32tm /query /source
w32tm /query /peers
w32tm /query /status

The /update is what I was probably missing. Thanks.

[edit] and if I had looked at the next page all of this is in an example.

Funny thing is that they do not list the /update in any of the commands or sub commands. I’m referencing the “Windows Time service tools and settings” article dated 8/24/22

I followed a guide to migrate domain controllers and that is what was listed in the process. Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

For anyone else wondering about the document I referenced, here it is Windows Time service tools and settings | Microsoft Learn