Access point planning for home network

I need to have an idea on how to rebuild my Wi-Fi network.

My home has 1850 sqft (first floor) and 1008 sqft on the second floor. Plus a relatively large backyard (5000 sqft) that has power and CAT6 ethernet in one of the corners.

The house is a typical American construction: wood and drywall, no basement.

The existing wired network has the L shape: the Internet comes from the longer L side, there’s a cable modem and the access point there - and multiple servers along with the unmanaged 16-port switch.

Next is one CAT 5E link to the center of the house where’s another unmanaged 8-port switch with the 2nd access point.

Next is the second CAT 5E link towards the other end of the house where the third access point sits, forming the perfect line.

Finally, there’s a third CAT 6 link going to outside, across the backyard to a shed where the fourth access point is located, ending the L-shape.

None of the access points are located upstairs at the moment.

What would be the number of access points required to cover the house on both levels? I’m open both to Omada and Unifi, depending on HW availability.

I will be replacing cat 5E cables with 6A to prep the network for 10G.

Have you seen the Ubiquiti / Unifi Design tool?

Unfi Design Center

You can draw up your house pretty quickly and drop in Ubquiti’s various AP’s and see how the coverage is.

1 Like

I found it incredibly resource-hungry and clunky. Maybe it’s my PDF that I put as a base, but it’s not complicated - basically an export from the MagicPlan iOS app for two floors.

Too bad the Unifi Design Tool isn’t working for you. I have used it for both work and my house and it is very helpful.

It’s kind of difficult to say what would work best for you. My home is slightly larger than yours, but is also “wood and drywall”. Keep in mind that the ductwork and pipes inside the walls can greatly weaken the signals, depending on how your mechanical systems are designed. I installed a Unifi system throughout the house. I installed in-wall access points in two bedrooms upstairs. I did this because my attic is difficult to access, I could run the wires up the cold air returns and come out in the perfect locations, they are easier to hide than ceiling mounts, and I actually needed the wired ports that they have. I put the Pro version of the in-wall access point above the cabinets in my kitchen - again I wanted the wired ports for things like lighting control bridge, DirecTV base unit, etc. I put a “Lite” access point on the ceiling of a hallway between a garage and bathroom for a small area not part of the core house. This is overkill, but I have throttled back the power through the controller and we have excellent coverage throughout the house. However, our signal outside is poor and I am considering adding an access point for our front porch, which is used all summer.