2nd IPI on a NIC

Hi -
I have a funny question. On Windows (and linux) you can add a second IP address. What are some use cases for this?

I ask because I have some equipment that uses the NIC on the computer to communicate with a machine that it runs. It currently is setup to use a USB WiFi dongle for the internet network. I would like to get better speeds for backup and data movements between that computer and other drives on the network.

The only video I saw that addressed this was to add the IP in the range of a printer or switch that has a default range outside of your set IP so you can access it.

I am thinking that I would connect that Computer NIC to a desktop switch (managed?) and then add the computers and machines on the switch and plug into my Dell N2048P layer 3 switch. Would this work?

Thoughts or options?

On Windows (and linux) you can add a second IP address. What are some use cases for this?

A private IP to be used for OpenStack is one of the examples

I’ve always thought that I should be able to plug my laptop into a trunk port on my switch and be able to connect to different vlans by swapping the different network connections, it didn’t work however probably because I have to state the vlan ID somewhere but the option isn’t present.

If you connect all your devices to an unmanaged switch they will communicate with each other if they are in the same address range.

Thank you - I will look into OpenStack

Like I said, the one video I saw discussed adding an IP to access a different IP subnet for a new piece of equipment. I was hoping to leverage that on some scale.

I have a layer-3 switch for the wall jacks (Dell N2048P) and a shortage of jacks, so a few desktop switches would be fine if it speeds up the internet access on the equipment attached workstations.

On the desktop switch in the room I can connect the equipment and computers and then plug into the wall. Can I filter the IP’s that go across to the dell switch (and rest of the network)? I just don;t want the machine data traversing the main switch stack and slowing anything down.

Either way, I will end up having a small switch in the room, and am hoping I can start to consolidate networking and utilize USB network adapters.

I should also say that half of the attached (to equipment) computers are laptops. For the on desktops I can look into adding a separate NIC card.

Thanks in advance for any advice :slight_smile: