Zorin OS and POP OS Problems with X2Go

Hi
I’m trying to create a solution for a non-profit organization at the minimum cost possible. In this case create a Lab with 3-5 Terminals for School Tutoring Purposes. I was able to install and test X2Go in a virtual environment using Proxmox with Ubuntu Server + Mate Desktop and Linux Mint Mate with no problem, except for lagging playing Youtube Videos. As part of my tests I’ve created 2 additional VM’s for POP OS 18.04 and 19.04 and Zorin OS 15 (in both OS gnome-flashback, ssh and x2go server were installed) but, I’ve found that even with a new installation when I tried to connect with X2Go Client it terminate the session automatically, even though I can connect via ssh using putty, remmina or any other ssh client.

I’m trying to figure out wish OS has better overall performance in any task.

Thanks for your help!!!

Without knowing what the error message is, it’s hard to troubleshoot the issue.

X2Go can be problematic with some distros, I like it but my standard is NoMachine I’v had no problems with it. For what you are doing the free version, known as No Machine for Everyone and downloadable from their web site should solve your problem. Uses the NX protocol and is very refined. One of its features allows for the recording of sessions and support for ssh so give it a try.

Does it support Multiple Session (Terminal Server) on the same Server/ Linux PC

I there any way I can access any log File on Windows x2Go Client? All I have is some screenshots and the detailed information about the connection displayed on X2Go Client

NXPROXY - Version 3.5.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2010 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid ‘7572’.
Session: Starting session at ‘Tue Oct 15 09:37:20 2019’.
Info: Connecting to remote host ‘localhost:53379’.
Info: Connection to remote proxy ‘localhost:53379’ established.
Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
Warning: Unrecognized session type ‘unix-kde-depth_32’. Assuming agent session.
Warning: Failed to read data from the X auth command.
Warning: Generated a fake cookie for X authentication.
Info: Using ADSL link parameters 512/24/1/0.
Info: Using cache parameters 4/4096KB/8192KB/8192KB.
Info: Using pack method ‘16m-jpeg-9’ with session ‘unix-kde-depth_32’.
Info: Using ZLIB data compression 1/1/32.
Info: Using ZLIB stream compression 4/4.
Info: No suitable cache file found.
Info: Forwarding X11 connections to display ‘localhost:0’.
Session: Session started at ‘Tue Oct 15 09:37:20 2019’.
Info: Established X server connection.
Info: Using shared memory parameters 0/0K.
Session: Terminating session at ‘Tue Oct 15 09:38:35 2019’.

Session: Session terminated at ‘Tue Oct 15 09:38:35 2019’.

I was able to connect to POP OS and ZOrin OS, but i had to install this package gnome-session-flashback. Do you know if its going to be too much lagging when playing videos locally stored on the server or youtube?

No Machine has both client and server.

Jumping in here many years later, but perhaps someone is in need of a solution for class / lab. Available in the apt repo is youtube-dl, install that and then google or use the man page to figure out how to use it. There will be no need to have a bunch of VMs that are powerful enough to connect to YT and stream video. Honestly any remote software is going to struggle with that. Use the util to download the needed videos to the VMs. Then play the video using a media player. The video and audio will most likely lag. However, it should be much less lag than loading web browser and all the YT web page render itself takes a ton of ram and CPU.

Disclaimer - Only use this tool to DL non copyrighted educational materials. Powerful tools = powerful responsibility.

Do good. Hope this helps!