Where the heck am I going to get a firewall?

And so did I :wink: Everything you said about those applies to Versa SASE, although my company is using it in a more hybrid way - we do also have on-prem Versa appliances, to deal with situations like an acquisition with a legacy ERP system on-prem, that we can’t install the SASE client on.

Sweet. I will have to take a closer look at Versa. They are more SD-WAN than SASE, though?

Every thing you expect SASE to do, they have it, because the Versa OS was a fairly recent ground-up design (about 5 years old) and so it was designed for modern security features, and can do service chaining (feeding packets into and out of other processes/services, either sequentially or in parallel, so additional things can be added on easily). The cloud-hosted SASE offering uses the same core parts as an on-prem SDWAN appliance, just automated and with more features like DLP and CASB that are computationally expensive.

The main programmers of Versa OS previously designed Juniper SRX before leaving to start Versa. They wanted to do SDWAN differently than Juniper’s management.

Oh wow… Juniper SRX, I almost forgot about them (I loved them when they came out, despite being so buggy). This gives me all the more reason to check Versa out. Thanks for highlighting! :slight_smile:

I would add Palo Alto Prisma Access to the discussion as well.

1 Like

Cloud is great, until your internet goes out. Really sucks when you can barely log into your computer, or you can log in but nothing else works. Firewalls are one of the things that I feel should be on prem.

1 Like

It’s not hard to build for redundant internet connections, but SASE is nice when you have a bunch of offices or public clouds to secure. If you are still in a data center then on-prem makes sense. Lots of use cases for both.

Sure, but your on-prem perimeter firewall won’t allow you to access the internet either, when it’s down.

Not much is being contributed to Zentyal Community Edition according to what I have read in Admin Mag.

I haven’t kept up on Zentyal, but it seems to be a slow release cycle. I’m currently at v7.0.3, I don’t remember when the last update was released.