VLAN Tag Noobie

I assume this mini pc runs win10, you installed VB and inside VB, you made a pfsense VM. I think the second adapter should not be bridge. The first adapter as bridge got an ip from your main network. The second adapter might have to be Internal Network and pfsense will dictate the network, dhcp, and dns for that interface. As a test, forget about vlan, plug the client laptop to the second adapter and see what ip it gets. It should match what you have configured in pfsense.

Here’s a link I found … Setup Pfsense In Virtual Machine (VirtualBox) | Coy Geek

If I do that, the network becomes internal to the VM and won’t push anything out over the NIC. The switch is pulling IPs in bridge mode. I start getting into issues only with VLAN.

I think I might switch VM then. Only other idea.

I am on day 6 of this problem. I have redone everything. Now a new interesting problem:

If I manually configure my IP address on a client under the VLAN 30, it allows me to connect to the internet.

BUT, there is no IP address assigned via DHCP. If I go into DHCP leases there is nothing there. When I log into my AP, it shows the device as assigned with a MAC but no IP address.

So how is it that if I manually continue the device on the VLAN 30, can connect to the internet, but I do not get assigned an IP address. This now seems to be a pfsense issue.

Probably because DHCP isn’t running as you expected.

did you configure in pfsense to run a DHCP server on VLAN30?

Yes. I have it running.

It works just fine for LAN.

In Interfaces > Garbage, do you have the last two ticks on (bogon networks)?

They are turned off.

Can you paste Interfaces > Assignments screen ?

Garbage (VLAN30) should stem out of LAN.

I really think you are trying to fit a round peg in the square hole here. It’s not recommended to run pfsense as a VM. There is a reason it’s called the forbidden router. If you don’t have the proper hardware to run pfsense then you are going to waste your time and drive yourself crazy trying to get this to work.

The hardware is brand new. I’m trying to keep my footprint small and energy efficient. But thanks for the comment.