Virtualized Desktops

Try aads server. Works great. https://www.aads-worldwide.hk/

Would this be an option? Windows MultiPoint Server https://g.co/kgs/QLfLp1
I do not have experience with this setup, but I have heard of it used as a solution for a similar setup. (If I understand the use case correctly)

1 Like

Hi sir, can you share the specs of the server your using? We’re so blinded by this option. We need a solution that can have 1 server for like 10users and will only cost us single windows 10 OS and have the 10 users to use any of the available 10 workstations by just using their on credentials.

The 800 users we have are spread across about 13 physical hosts all with different specs. Each host has dual Xeons with anywhere from 14-20 cores each CPU, and between 512 GB RAM and 768 GB. The higher core count hosts have more RAM for higher density.

We use Citrix XenDesktop, which is a 1:1 connection, and the way everything is licensed is this…

1. Every physical desktop that would connect to a virtual machine has its own Windows license
  2. Every virtual machine running Windows has a Windows license
  3. We have a pool of concurrent Citrix XenDesktop licenses which takes care of connecting to the VMs through Citrix.

You’re not using any Windows server OS products in this model, You have one Windows Pro machine connecting to another Windows Pro machine.

NOW…

If you were using Citrix XenApp and using a server to host shared desktops off that one server, then you would need some server licensing and some CALs. XenApp shared desktop is a 1:many connections.

1 Like

Here is the way that I did it for the 2 desktop machines I wanted to run in a VM. I installed Proxmox VE which can run on a single host or on a number of hosts as either individual Proxmox nodes or you can more two or more nodes in what Proxmox calls a cluster.

I then created 2 VMs with both having identical specs but they do not have to. I installed Windows 10 Pro on one of the VMs and the other has Linux on it but you could run more Windows VMs you just need a license for each one you install Windows on. I then installed a VNC server on both VMs. I use TightVNC on the Windows machine.

As for connecting to the VM from another computer, you could install Windows with a valid license key and then install a VNC client. or go the way I did. Which was to install a basic Linux desktop environment on a computer and then install RealVNC and now I can connect from the Linux machine to the Windows machine and I am only using 1 Windows 10 Pro license.

This solution is probably not scaleable past a few VMs, though I have not tried it. I suppose if you had a Active Directory running on a Windows Server VM and setup all the policies and such you could clone a configured VM of Windows 10 Pro and then create multiple machines for users to connect too but it would not be a perfect pool of machine as they would have to know which ones were in use by other users, but if each user has their own VM then it would probably be ok.

1 Like

Is it ok to build a high spec PC, create multiple users(10) then buy Ncomputing devices and have 1PC with 10 simultaneous connections?