Question about DNS order - should it be Windows AD DC -> lancache -> Pi-Hole or should it be backwards?

I am looking to run three services:

Windows AD DC
Steam cache (lancache)
Pi-Hole

Should my DNS be set up such that my client computers should point to the Windows AD DC server first, then the Steam cache (lancache) and then Pi-Hole or should it be set up backwards?

Things that might be imporant to note:
I am running two different subnets (one has all of the traffic going through a VPN) and the other one subnet doesn’t.

As a result, right now, I am running two Windows AD DCs (via Turnkey Linux domain controller LXC container), one for each of the subnets.

I am running a 3-node Proxmox HA cluster, and each node has dual GbE NICs in them.

I have tried to set up my lancache such that it will respond to requests coming in from both subnets, but on their documentation page, it says that their DNS_BIND_IP address can only handle one address, so right now – that works for one of my subnets, but not the other.

I was hoping to be able to use Pi-Hole to “fix” that (rather than running a second instance of the Steam cache (lancache) where it caches exactly the same content.

Your help and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

I am hoping that I have asked my question in a clear and concise manner.

Thank you.

Your windows servers should always be the dns server for your clients.

On server dns settings - forwarding you add your other dns settings, so that it forwards dns request to these servers

1 Like

(I had started writing the reply and then my Firefox crashed, and I forgot to come back to this.)

Sorry – I guess that I forgot to add that I am using Samba 4 (via turnkey linux domain controller LXC template) for the Windows AD DC, rather than Windows Server.