Printing across VLANs

I have a wireless printer (HP Envy 5055) that is connected to VLAN 99 (configured in Unifi as a separate SSID). If my phone/computer is connected to the same network as the printer, I can print. If my phone/computer is connected to a different SSID (say VLAN11), I cannot print.

All VLANs are currently configured as any/any in pfSense. While on VLAN11, I can successfully ping the printer on VLAN99 so I know the communication is working… I just can’t print. I will admit that the printer does say that the device and printer must be on the same network but surely there is a way to make this work. Am I missing something obvious (e.g the printer telling me it must be on the same network) or just wasting my time?

Edit: I did see a previous post about enabling mDNS in Unifi but I do not have a UniFi Security Gateway which is required to enable this. I have Avahi enabled in pfSense though for both networks in question

I solved that on my home net - where I initialy had the printer (Airprint + IP) on the outside (WAN) of the PFSense box.

Install Avahi, description below. Avahi should allow the required broadcasts/multicasts across VLANS/Interfaces:

Avahi net 2.1_1 Avahi is a system which facilitates host and service discovery in local networks via mDNS (Multicast DNS) and DNS-SD (DNS Service Discovery). This package allows mDNS/DNS-SD protocols to work across multiple LAN segments. mDNS/DNS-SD is known in Apple circles as “Bounjour” and is part of the Zeroconf suite of protocols.

Thanks for the response! I have Avahi enabled for the VLANs in question. Still running in to issues.

I know Tom has said that printers + VLANS = meh. Does the printer support a 2nd IP? Is the printer
& router on the same VLAN?

Seeing as you have comm, I think that the printer, lets say on 10.2.33.x is rejecting / dropping the request coming from 10.2.44.x .

Have you looked at the printers logs?

Printer running latest firmware?

If you move the printer to VLAN-Y (from VLAN-X) , does the issue persist?

If you shutdown your PC & then upon reboot, connect to VLAN-Y (without 1st connecting to VLAN-X) does the issue persist?

Yeah I’m starting to feel the same way about this printer… Regarding your questions:

• Does the printer support a 2nd IP?
    Negative

• Is the printer & router on the same VLAN?
    No, printer is on vLAN and router is on LAN.

• Have you looked at the printers logs?
    No I hadn’t… After looking, this is all it says " System Error - Network connection error. Check network and try again." Bear in mind, this is while the printer is successfully connected to my network and I can print to it (assuming I’m on the same VLAN).

• Printer running latest firmware?
    Yes

• If you move the printer to VLAN-Y (from VLAN-X) , does the issue persist?
    Yes. The printer can be on any VLAN and as long as my computer is on that same VLAN, I can print. If the printer and computer (or phone) are not on the same VLANs, I can’t printer.

• If you shutdown your PC & then upon reboot, connect to VLAN-Y (without 1st connecting to VLAN-X) does the issue persist?
    Correct - issue persists

I’ll add one other thing… I did have to do some tinkering in Unifi to get the printer to successfully connect to the network. I had to disable:

• High Performance Devices
  • Fast Roaming
  • Multicast and Broadcast Filtering

I have my printers on a separate VLAN and use a CUPS server to allow my devices both android and Linux to print to them, I also have a windows computer set to print using the CUPS server too.

Thanx for the feedback. Check firewall rules ? WHat if the printer joins the routers LAN instead? OR if you use print-to-email (not a great solution but in a pinch it could work).