PoE dilemma: plugging in non PoE devices?

I was diagnosing a problem with my Internet access going to the AP. I knew what I was doing but thought the injector has to be .af . Wasn’t :smiley:

Update.
i received my main switch , TL-SG1024D (some budget restrictions, who ever said networking stuff is cheap?)
The switch will be connected to router. Also, into this switch the PoE switch will be atached.
Now, some questions.
Will the PoE switch affect somehow the main switch, being both connected with a LAN cable?
Daisy chain switches leads to a sinlge point of failure, that LAN cable connecting the switches. Could I use 2 separate cables, to add some redundancy? Am I being stupid or what?

Did you say you are running pfsense ? On pfsense you can create a LAGG group under the interfaces tab between your router and switch. If not, you might be able to depending on the router you have probably under something like Bonding or Link Aggregation. I get the feeling vendors use different terms to describe the same thing.

You need to have the same type of Link Aggregation on both ends of the link, you can mix and match. With Netgear (the switches I have) it uses either LAGG or LACP, LACP is the better / higher specification link to have, I have set up a hub and spoke formation between my main switch and various switches in rooms. While I have 4 connections between my router and switch in a LACP, just because I can rather than any particular need.

If you wire your house then you’d definitely want two cables for redundancy / aggregation.

Update:
I received the PoE switch , it is the TP Link TL-SG100MP with PoE 802.3at features.

So main switch is TL-SG1024D from which the PD will be connected into TL-SG100MP.
Now, connecting a cable from main switch to PoE switch I assume that needs no configuration, all is autoconfigured (data and power). I assume, but if there is more complete answer, I welcome it.

While I see your main switch is unmanaged, I would have bought a managed switch as once you move to vlans then those units can only handle a single vlan.
As you look like being on a single LAN it should just be plug and play.

1 Like

yes, I was aware of the VLAN limitations, oance again budget. But next year I am promised to buy more gear and without so many budget cuts.
It’s getting started and lift up, so more cash flows in then upgrade is mandatory.
So, basically it’s plug and play.
Thank you for your quick response.
Will keep you updated.
Cheers,