pfSense randomly drops internet

And it happened again. Right at about the 5 hour mark. DHCP still works. Traffic graphs show that there is still a little WAN activity but I can’t ping out. I SSHed into pfSense and tried from there but couldn’t ping out. Resetting the modem worked. I’m going to look at the logs and see if I can find out anything.

Right at about the 5 hour mark. DHCP still works. Traffic graphs show that there is still a little WAN activity but I can’t ping out. 

How are you pinging? Is it by IP, or Domain name (ping 8.8.8.8 vs ping google.com)?

I tried both ways. Both were unsuccessful.

Well I configured a bare metal install this time through. I’m at about 2 hours of uptime now. I’ll update tomorrow and let you guys know if this resolved the issue. The only thing I’ve noticed is that in the virtualized setup the interface was reporting as 10gbase-t whereas in the baremetal install it is 1000baseT full-duplex.

Alright, so it did the same thing with my bare metal install. ~5 hours and then it drops. Loading into the gateway become very slow. I plugged directly into my pfSense box and had the same results. As soon as I unplug my cable modem, the webConfigurator works just fine.

The cable modem does not have this issue when hooked up to an ER-X.

Just as a test this time around I changed the interfaces so my NIC used for WAN was the built in one on the motherboard of the device.

After plugging in the modem again everything comes back up just fine. Never had to power cycle my pfSense box.

Any ideas? I just don’t understand why the webConfigurator would be affected if it seems to have an issue between the pfSense box and the modem.