Pfsense port forwarding Pfatt

The better way is to not run things which need vastly different network situations on the same host. Meaning put the on different VMs - looks like you’re using Hyper-V already.

That’s not a issue I can just spin up another windows copy in hyper v If I do that would it be better to Also run the vpn though pfsense

Running the VPN client on the router only makes sense if you want more than one client device to go through it.

I just went and did that all got it all working except I have a specific port from mullvan and I can’t figure out how to port forward that. I can do regular forwards now on my lan but not to my vpn client

My Plex server is 32400 and shows as open when I change the port number in PfSense from 32400 to 32401 it shows 32400 as closed and shows 32401 as closed also could that be because I don’t have the Plex server setup to port 32401 and I need something to listen on that port for it to show as open

I did this one as a test same settings as my Plex except for the port and IP address and the port shows closed just not sure what I’m doing wrong

Think my issues is I’m assigning any port in pfsence But I don’t have any program using that port on the client except for Plex using 32400 that’s why 32400 succeeded but the other ports failed. Am I correct in my thinking here

Yes. A port is only “Open” in these testers if they can make a TCP connection. The computer won’t accept a TCP connection for ports where no program is listening.

Thanks everyone for the help I got a new Hp630 plus on the way so I will be installing a fresh copy and I’m looking at using airvpn as my vpn provider. And gonna be fun setting everything up I’m also looking at rooting my att modem so I can put the certificates on my pfsense box so I bypass the modem completely so probably have a lot more questions once I get it all setup and running again

Looking at using this guide for the basis of my
Network

https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-baseline-setup/

I’ve been using AirVPN for something like 8 years really like them. As you get 5 connections you can put a couple of them in a Gateway Group, the fastest connection ought to be taken first or if one fails the traffic will flow out over the next available connection.

That’s good to know let me ask how’s the port forwarding for it work through pfsense

No need to port forward … just set up say 3 openVPN clients to your airvpn servers … setup your gateways for those clients then include the 3 gateways in a gateway group…

in general you can’t port forward with a VPN because they aren’t going to give you a public IP… you’re going to get a private IP, and that will be NATed along with dozens or hundreds of other users. You need to find VPNs that will specifically support port forwarding if you want it.
Edit: Looks like AirVPN is one of these services… maybe you already knew that and that’s why you chose them: https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/